• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sorry, an oil thread!

dunbad

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
Its time to do an oil service on my 97 4ltr. Its 37 thousand miles on it and doesnt leak a drop of anything anywhere and has been fully serviced at least once a year by jeep. I use it as a DD.

Tomorrow im gonna have a go at pulling the oil pan and have a look see how much sludge i have kicking around in there and if it looks ok I wanna change to a fully sythentic oil (i wont even mention the brand because i dont want to get into that argument!!)
Where i live there is no 10w40 fully sythentic oil. 99.9 percent of the FULLY sythentic oil that i have found so far is 0w40 regardless of brand. The other weight of oil that i found was 0w30, 15w50 and on ebay i saw 5w30.

So far i have only found 10w40 (which is what i wanted to stick in), in PART sythentic? This is widely available. Even looking at other brands though i cant find any 10w 40 fully sythentic??

ok so its mobil 1 that i wanna use. I asked an assistant what was going on and they told me that theve never heard of any mobil 1 or any other brand 10w40 fully sythentic which many of you use????
so the question is would this 0w40 be good for the car, ive done a search but it doesnt get mentioned that i could see? or would the 10w 40 part sythentic be better??
many thanks

Hi,
Its time to do an oil service on my 97 4ltr. Its 37 thousand miles on it and doesnt leak a drop of anything anywhere and has been fully serviced at least once a year by jeep. I use it as a DD.

Tomorrow im gonna have a go at pulling the oil pan and have a look see how much sludge i have kicking around in there and if it looks ok I wanna change to a fully sythentic oil (i wont even mention the brand because i dont want to get into that argument!!)
Where i live there is no 10w40 fully sythentic oil. 99.9 percent of the FULLY sythentic oil that i have found so far is 0w40 regardless of brand. The other weight of oil that i found was 0w30, 15w50 and on ebay i saw 5w30.

So far i have only found 10w40 (which is what i wanted to stick in), in PART sythentic? This is widely available. Even looking at other brands though i cant find any 10w 40 fully sythentic??

ok so its mobil 1 that i wanna use. I asked an assistant what was going on and they told me that theve never heard of any mobil 1 or any other brand 10w40 fully sythentic which many of you use????
so the question is would this 0w40 be good for the car, ive done a search but it doesnt get mentioned that i could see? or would the 10w 40 part sythentic be better??
many thanks

it is 12 years old, and only 37,000 miles? that is something like 9 miles a day!:shocked:

wanna trade?:rtm:

Winterbeater, thanks my friend, you are one helpfull guy!!
But now im really confused. Still reading through those articles.

Does this make sense or am i missing something.

Question: Mixing Motor Oil to Reach the Right ZDDP Level for Classic CarsFor an older, flat tappet, performance motor with inherent cam wear issues is there any benefit to mixing high ZDDP Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 0W-30 oil? The 15W-50 creates TOO MUCH oil pressure. It would be nice if you had a product for 'Classic' cars, high ZDDP, 0W-30 and 0W-40. I have used nothing but Mobil 1 for 15+ years.-- Bill McCauley, Tallmadge, OH
spacer.gif
Answer: Mobil 1 0W-40 already contains a higher level of ZDDP (1000 ppm) that could benefit your flat tappet engine. We also have a Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 (1000 ppm); see our table listing the phosphorous levels for all Mobil 1 motor oils.

But then i read this on the same site.

Question: Does Mobil 1 Contain the Additive for Flat Tappet Cams?I build a few engines a year as I do muscle car repairs and I have been having a lot of camshaft failures. I just read that it is because the oil no longer has the additive for flat tappet cams. Can I use Mobil 1 to break in fresh rebuilt engines of '60s and '70s tech? Is it too slippery for new ring break-in? Will it give protection on new cam and lifters?-- Frederick Neidlinger, Dover/Dover AFB, DE
spacer.gif
Answer: For older, flat tappet engines where wear may be more of a concern, we offer a number of oil products which are higher in phosphorus than API SM/ILSAC GF-4 oils. These include Mobil 1 15W-50, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 (1200 ppm phosphorus), Mobil 1 0W-40 (1,000 ppm) and Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 and 10W-40 (1000 ppm). For all newer engines and flat tappet engines in normal service, API SM/ISLAC GF-4 oils are preferred for better fuel economy and for the protection of catalytic systems with lower phosphorous (800 ppm).

I knew this would be a minefield and people have there own opinions. But has anyone ran 0w 40 fully synthentic regardless of brand? Would anyone consider sticking it in an xj if they had low miles and well looked after? Or is it WELL OBVIOUS that i should be using different spec oil?? or do i try to get hold of the 10w 40 that they apparently do? I havent really got strong opinions on the oil other than regular changes and fully synthentic all the way if im doing my own servicing, however i do want to get this weight of oil right.

Oh and tomcat no im not trading, it took me a long time to find!! only had 27 thousand on it when i got it, one owner, stamped to death with jeep servicing and all fully documented:clap:. As of today, now ive got my problems fixed. There is zero wrong with it and still totally smooooooth!!
spacer.gif

The Mobil 1 0-xx oils don't have the ZDDP. I run that oil in my Lincoln Mark VIII and my Ford Crown Vic with 4.6 overhead cam motors, but I won't run it in my XJ. You need the gold capped bottles of Mobil 1 extended performance 10-30 or 15-50 (if you can find them - we've been out of it over here since a hurricane or something). Otherwise, I'd give up on the Mobil 1. Keep googling and I think you'll see the old Jaguar and MG clubs like Castrol 15-50 or such, which you may actually be able to get (dinosaur oils, I believe). I think that's what I would use. The Shell Rotella diesel oils are popular here also, but there could be issues of catalytic converter contamination.

hi, just an update. I went from mopar fully synthetic to mobil one 0w 40, fully synthetic and it gave me piston slap on cold start up. Lasted about 5 mins on idle. Tonight i put in castrol edge 0w 30 to see it thats any better. Ill let you know how it goes.

Back