• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BPE's

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
Bar Pin Eliminators? I know, I know, Noobholio strikes again............:flame: away

They help your muffler bearings last longer...

They help your muffler bearings last longer...
They also make it easier to change the blinker fluid.

I keed I keed. They're pretty good. They preload the bushing to cut down on noise, raise the shock mount a little to help shocks that may be a little short survive longer, are a stronger mounting method than the bar pin, and apparently open you up to a wider selection of shocks.

ya i have the JKS eye coversion and BPE on front and love it - solid mounting and you can rune any eye to eye shock - if anyone has ever broke a bar pin they will appreciate the beef of the JKS bpe's

Before

BPE001a.jpg

After

BPE007a.jpg

Before

BPE001a.jpg

After

BPE007a.jpg

Whats that about 3/4 of an inch? I was gonna do this since i am going up to 3 inches and my shocks are for a BB. That should give me plenty of travel!

When I first installed these shocks (Bilstein 5150) I used the upper adapter that JKS sells along with the BPE's. I felt that the upper adapters (pn 9605), which reduce the over all length by 1.10" along with the BPE's which reduce the distance by .40" was too much so I removed the upper adapters and bought the adapter that Bilstein sells.

I've still got the upper adapters if anyone wants them :spin1:

side view of the JKS BPE
BPE004a.jpg

Bilstein adapter
wheelwell018a.jpg

I´m hering a really anoying noise in the back of my XJ... it´s like a rubber hammer hiting the floor, it comes from the back when driving trough any minimal defect in the road...
should i put BPEs in the top mount of the rear shocks????
I need some advices if this could cure that noise that bother me a lot.
Thanks.

You can be cheap and use the rear swaybar links as BPE's for the rear of your truck. I did this around a year and a half ago and they seem to be working out quite well.
Heres a photo of the swaybar bracket mounted on a set of Comanche rear shocks that I used. This combo should be good up to around 4" of lift.

rearshockcomparison.jpg

BPE seem to me to be a waste of money. I don't get why you would want to shorten that potential shock travel for an overpriced pin. The type of bracket that Clunk posted makes sense cause in the rear you eliminate the risk of stripping the threads or twisting off a bolt in the unibody. In the front it changes nothing.

I just put Bilstein 5150's front and 5125's rear and had no problems mounting either end. I took my old bar pin and rounded one end of it so it would start into the new shock bushing easier, sprayed a little lube on the bushing, and squeezed it through with a vise and a few taps of a hammer. It really wasn't a big deal.

Also I'm not buying the BPE's are stronger than the BP's cause they are mounted through the same holes using same sized hardware. What is stronger about that? The blocks have more surface area for the compression of the shock is the only benefit I see. If you have picts showing failed BP's then I'll reconsider.

but are the Bar pins the cause of the noise i mentioned 2 posts above??

I checked everything down there and nothing seems to be hitting to other parts...

but are the Bar pins the cause of the noise i mentioned 2 posts above??

I checked everything down there and nothing seems to be hitting to other parts...

Are the bushings in the upper end of your rear shocks wore out? If they are it could allow the shock eye to move up enough to hit the floor. Also make sure that your shackles aren't hitting the unibody when they swing rearward. Can a buddy jump on the bumper and make it make the same sound?

BPE seem to me to be a waste of money. I don't get why you would want to shorten that potential shock travel for an overpriced pin. The type of bracket that Clunk posted makes sense cause in the rear you eliminate the risk of stripping the threads or twisting off a bolt in the unibody. In the front it changes nothing.

I just put Bilstein 5150's front and 5125's rear and had no problems mounting either end. I took my old bar pin and rounded one end of it so it would start into the new shock bushing easier, sprayed a little lube on the bushing, and squeezed it through with a vise and a few taps of a hammer. It really wasn't a big deal.

Also I'm not buying the BPE's are stronger than the BP's cause they are mounted through the same holes using same sized hardware. What is stronger about that? The blocks have more surface area for the compression of the shock is the only benefit I see. If you have picts showing failed BP's then I'll reconsider.
The BPE itself is likely to be stronger than the bar pin it's eliminating. Have you looked at the ends on a bar pin? They're fairly thin. Also, it would seem to me that the only possible place you'd be losing shock travel would be maybe a 1/2"-1" of up travel, however down travel would look to me to increase by the same amount.

Back