• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade lower control arms

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of taking (2) sets of stock control arms and chopping, welding ,reinforcing, and strengthening said proposition. I will also be boxing them in. This is just temporary for driving to and from school and light wheeling.This will consist of ZERO DOLLARS and i have no job right not....but once i have the 200 dollars for the kit it will come.

I just want opinions on this...Not just "its unsafe, don't do it"

I know what i will be doing and this will be a VERY rigid set of control arms.

thanks'

-PJ-

The stock arms are designed to flex. If you stiffen them, they will break.

Can work and will work. I've extended a few sets of "budget" arms for folks that were saving for the real deal. I wouldn't use these for wheeling longterm and you do this at your own risk, and the risk of others.

the only thing i have seen people do is box them in - they are thin material and not the best starting point for control arms... get some tube and make em your self - it is actually easier and will result in a stronger product - maybe a bit more $ - or look into RC's new arms - great for someone on a budget and they come with flex joints! the stock arms are just flemsy

flimsy ends + ridgid middle extension = cracked welds, overstressed materials...a bad idea. Sure you could do it. Is it wise? Not at all.

My buddy bought an 86 with a lift on it a few year back and the lower had been lengthened and they looked janky as hell! I would just save yourself the time and possible bodily harm and buy some. No Jeep needs to be lifted that bad!

The stock control arms are designed to twist.

When you box them in, they can't twist, neither can the hard rubber bushings at both ends - there is no give. When you flex out, it overstresses the control arm mounts.

Eventually, and sooner than you think, it will rip them off of the axle.

..The same thing will happen with any aftermarket control arm you buy or build, with no flex in it and harder rubber joints.. for example, Pro-Comp control arms (or many others, but that comes to mind).

Back