• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

scored a Dana 44 today at the junk

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
I went in to get some wire harness plugs and misc honda plugs when i decided it was a good idea to check for XJ parts. I turn into the truck section and i find a 87 XJ. I think what are the odds it has a Dana 44???? indeed there was a 44 chillin. so what do i do? use the little bit of tools i had on me and yank the SOB. All i had was a 3/8's ratchet and some deep sockets. lucky for me i had 8mm all the way to 19mm. took me a bout 20 mins. also i didnt exactly bring clothes that were suitable for grease monkey-ing around. So i had to be careful not to get to dirty. the bad thing is that i had to pay 187 for it but it came with everything including the e-brake cables and drums. also, it sucked that i rolled there in my 88 civic. so i had to call in a favor and have my GF's neighbor bring his tunrdra down to rescue me and my new dana.

Score one for the broke XJ owners. :sunshine::greensmok

Its about time some one actually pulled an axle themselves... Nice score...:thumbup:

ha! are you saying people nowadays dont pull their own axles? i was amazed at how easy it was to pull it. only thing that sucked was being solo bolo and having to lug it all by myself.

if your hunting for one and you bring the right tools you can boost it out of there in about 15 mins. Let me know if you want to talk about budget disc conversions.

ha! are you saying people nowadays dont pull their own axles? i was amazed at how easy it was to pull it. only thing that sucked was being solo bolo and having to lug it all by myself.

Hey carefull now. I have been scouting the Junk yards out here for friends and there is just not much to pick from here. I've been talking about making a trip to Ontario or OC to try and find one. I have no problem pulling one.

Hey carefull now. I have been scouting the Junk yards out here for friends and there is just not much to pick from here. I've been talking about making a trip to Ontario or OC to try and find one. I have no problem pulling one.

Its about time some one actually pulled an axle themselves... Nice score...:thumbup:

i think clean-RC was the one who made the comment... not i sir... and i think i just got lucky. Right place at the right time. Im sure you do alot of DIY kinda builds :)

I feel the same way. I'm just trying to help out some friends who may need a little motivation and help getting their axles. Sorry had to throw someone under the bus there. Anyway I understand not everyone is a freak like me who wants to pull a grease ball of a diff out of a Jeep parked on rims in the dirt. Man too bad I'm at work right now, that sounds like fun.

Between Ontario and Anaheim and Long Beach you would "almost" be guaranteed to find one on any weekend. Just a lot of driving to make sure you do find one.

Last week, my friend and I pulled three D44s from the same yard. But they were all spoken for before we even pulled them.

I am having an extremely hard time finding any sort of rear axle I can use on my XJ, so I am glad to hear you came up on one!! :cheers:

I am having an extremely hard time finding any sort of rear axle I can use on my XJ, so I am glad to hear you came up on one!! :cheers:

you can imagine how stoked i was cause at 1st i wasnt sure. then I looked on my phone ( google phone ) to make sure it was a dana 44. the shape of it was a giveaway aswell as the metal fill plug. just wanted to make sure it was indeed a 44 and not a 35. that would have sucked if i pulled another 35...haha

At the Katella Pick Your Part.

I found mine in Wilmington pick a part. tomorrow im going back for the Honda parts that i need for a MPFI swap on a 88 Civic Sedan. let hope i dont find another one cause im gonna have to pull it aswell.....lol

actually im going to the Pick a part this time not Ecology. :cheersh:

a little birdie told me the mud out back smells exceptionally foul this time of year, do avoid it!

i wonder why that is.... think wilmington/ harbor city smells like that year round though. i may be wrong and i apologize if i offended anyone from harbor city or wilmington...lol

Well just got back from Wilmington, and there is a bunch of D44's in both yards.. Just none of the XJ flavor.. Two High pinion D44 fronts under older fords.. I grabbed a NP241C and was out..

I see them about every 3rd trip to ontario or rialto and pretty often to the ones up in the high desert, actually have pulled 4 from the place on airport and they don't cycle the cars there very fast at all

Back