• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metal flakes in oil, HELP!

tomcat

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a '99 4.0L. I was doing an oil change the other day, and noticed there were metal flakes in it. what should i do?

:scared::doh:
(Click the pics for larger images)

actually, i was cruising on my way home from work when i developed serious rod knock. motor was pulled this past weekend. after pulling the head off, we were met by this in #2:

you think it will still hold compression?:laugh2:

I am not entirely surprised, i got this jeep with 27,500 miles, and beat it like a rented red headed step mule child. it had mild piston slap developed around 130K miles, and then this. Ran like a sewing machine until the bitter end, and I mean bitter. even when i was pulled over to the shoulder, it was able to pull me far enough to find a mile marker to read for when i called for a tow. almost 4 weeks later, it started in my driveway too.

some more pics:

a "good" piston. if anyone wants to know what piston slap is, it is the skirt rubbing on the cylinder walls, rubbing off of the black coating:

when it grenaded, a piston ring got in-between the piston, and the cylinder wall and did this:

that is a crack. there was a gallon or so of coolant in the oil pan too. funny thing is, after looking at these pictures up close, you can still see a crosshatch hone! the piston also smacked the sparkplug. head looks ok, but i am not going to use it again

going to rebuild a '98 wrangler stroker. Pulling that donor this Saturday:woohoo:

if anyone has some insight as to how this could have happened, i would love to hear some theories, and if anyone wants other pictures of anything, let me know. i am holding on the the motor until the new one is in, as a reference for brackets, bolts, which stupid oil pan bolt holds the 02 sensor etc. thought you all would get a kick out of the carnage, which is now a pile of scrap metal
if you were wondering, it is not the 0331 head, it is the 0630, and the cam looks beautiful

I think JB weld, vacuum out the pan, and a new Fram filter. You'll be good to go! What the h**l you pull the pan just to do the oil change for? Round off the drain plug?

I think JB weld, vacuum out the pan, and a new Fram filter. You'll be good to go! What the h**l you pull the pan just to do the oil change for? Round off the drain plug?

pan was pulled off after the motor was on a stand in my garage

Did you drop a valve?? The top of the piston look like it had some serious contact before/that caused it grenade. Notice the top of the piston is pushed down,...

mabe home made seafome, or home made snow foam or the new product riverfoam??? Originally Posted by ceb0217
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????

Did you drop a valve?? The top of the piston look like it had some serious contact before/that caused it grenade. Notice the top of the piston is pushed down,...
all the lifters were tight before removing the head, and all of the springs are in perfect shape.
spark plug is the only thing that was contacted, and it wasn't broken, it is still in one piece.

ceb0217:
I believe it is a 1:200 solution of sea salt to distilled water. dawn soap works best to get it foaming. a little anchovy paste rounds it out for that authentic sea-foam feel

Back