• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balljoint dilemma!

tommyboy

NAXJA Forum User
Alright here's the scenario. I'm putting my new balljoints in on the passenger side of a HP 44. I've got them pressed in the knuckle but now I need to get them in the inner c without spinning when I need to tighten them down. What's the secret?

Um, the ball joints are spinning in the knuckle? As in the threaded part is spinning, or the whole thing?

You can use a jack under the knuckle, to apply some pressure so that you can tighten the bottom ball joint, then you put the threaded insert into the top of the inner c, then tighten that down to the proper torque, 40ft-lbs, then tighten the top.

impact wrench.
if you don't have one put pressure on the knuckle (press it into the c) and that will be enough to allow you to tighten the lower. Then you need one of the ball joint preload tools to tighten preload the upper. Then tighten the nut on it.

^^^^he beat me to it

If you don't have one, or can't find one, taking a deep 3/4" socket, and cutting the propper groves into it works. Its not the cleanest, and does have a possibility of messing up the insert, but it can work.

Ya I got the like teeth into the knuckle but now when I wanna tighten the bolts on the thread the threads spin. Begster so if I have a big boy sit on the axle and use a jack I can tighten it?

Back