• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless II

Achmed

NAXJA Forum User
DSC_1107.jpg

DSC_1108.jpg

Oil impregnated bronze bushings, 5/16" pins and electrical quick disconnects on the way!

shooot, what happen? i thought you weren't "goin' doorless"....

check list...

front speakers.
mirrors.
rain coat.

now take the rears off.

Looks great. I plan on doing the same thing only with all 4 doors to show the wranglers at my school how its done, alteast if it is legal in maryland.

What are oil impregnated bronze bushings? Is that the little thingies that fell out when i did my doorless mod? Btw what sheats are those? Clean XJ !!!

They are a bronze bushing by McMaster Carr (P/N 6338K453) that is 5/16" ID and 7/16" ID so that a 5/16" hinge pin fits PERFECT. They are on the body hinge when you remove the doors. The seats are stock Agate cloth seats from a 2000 Classic.

Material
Bronze
Bronze Type
SAE 841 Bronze
Type
Flanged Sleeve Bearings
For Shaft Diameter
5/16"
Shaft Diameter Tolerance
+0.0010" to +0.0020"
Outside Diameter
7/16"
Outside Diameter Tolerance
+0.0020" to +0.0030"
Flange Outside Diameter
9/16"
Flange Thickness
1/16"
Length
3/8"
Length Tolerance
±0.005"
Load (P Max)
Speed (V Max)
Load at Speed (PV Max)
Temperature Range
+10° to +220° F
Specifications Met
Not Rated

flangedsleevecollage.gif

Last edited:
I knew it! I dont know how i made that connection, guess its cuz when i was doing my doorless mod and i looked at those little metal thingies the word "impregnate" came to mind...

Anyway, i thought about looking into installing those, but i decided it would be dumb since they would become useless when you take the doors off each time, maybe not? I dont know about you but i pop my doors off frequently. I decided to instead drill out the hines to like 3/8ths or something i cant remember, then use long bolts that dont have thread till the bottom of the bolt, shaft the side of the top of the bolt for clearance and cut off the bottom threaded portion of the bolt (the threads tend to wear down, thus reducing the diameter of the bolt and causing sagging). It has been working for me, but my drivers door leaks, its got quite a opening up top but im still working on fixing it. The 2 door's doors are quite ungainly as well

Oh, btw achmed, ill be swapping over my junk in time to run a 4 door auto and I am definitly going with your set up, screw drilling out the hinges. Do you have pics of the setup close up? Id like to see what the bushings and hinge pins look like, im sure you used aftermarket like "quick pins"? As the stock hinge pins are pressed in, thus not really removeable....

If I do something like you're planning Im just going to get some JY XJ doors and cut them up. That way the latch and hinges are already there but Ill have less than half the door remaining.

I might look into those bushings as well. I'd rather not drill out my hinges. I still have my stock bushings in there, but they are pretty worn out.

Looks great. I plan on doing the same thing only with all 4 doors to show the wranglers at my school how its done, alteast if it is legal in maryland.

I haven't had a problem in MD or VA with my doors off. I'll sit right next to a cop at a light and he won't even look over.

Only place I couldn't go was on the Naval base I work at. The asshole guards said I needed to have doors and that the cops I've seen on the road who didn't say anything 'weren't doing their jobs"...

thanks sunburned, and are you talking about Pax or Webster, cause I might get a job at one of those when I graduate. How far south are you in SOMD, Im way down near Pt. Lookout.

Dumb question; Have any close up pics of the hinges and what it is your doing to make it fit like oem again?

I can post pics later tonight, but basically I am cutting off the bottom portion of each hinge on the door side and welding a 5/16" grade 8 pin into the top hole left on the hinge. It will resemble a wrangler door pin setup when completed. Search "fast64" screen name and he has a writeup on the modding of the door hinge.

hey sunburned and ritter

doorless is legal in md and va as long as you have side mirrors on. it is illegal in pa for some reason, they ticket a few rigs in our club everytime we head up to rausch creek.

harley mirrors work really well!

its not legal on a mil. base for their safety reasons. gotta remember the laws change when you get on base. gotta follow the mil law at that point. they require the motor cycle guys to wear a blaze orange vest while on base but va and md dont require one to be on the road.

Back