• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will D35 brakes/drums fit on an 8.25

I believe it's all the same, just not 100%. IIRC I used D35 wheel cylinders on my old 8.25, and they were the same.

I believe the D35 drums are 1" larger in diameter. Don't know if the entire assembly will swap over.

Uh, no. Most XJ brakes are 9" drums, the 10" drums aren't common. I don't know if the depth is the same between D35 drums and 8.25 drums.

If you have a D35 c-clip (9" drums, '91+) then yes they will swap over.

If you have a D35 non c-clip (10" drums '90-) then no they won't swap over.

I have all new brake parts on my D35 ..... would that stuff swap over to an 8.25?

90+ and 9" brakes, yes! Even the backing plates are the same.

You could save yourself some time by just pulling the shafts on both axles, unbolting the backing plates and brake lines from the D-35 with the brakes, brake hardware, wheel cylinders and E-brake cable still attached and lay them to the side. Install the 8.25, attach the backing plates, brake lines and then re-install the shafts. Don't forget to bleed the brakes and add diff fluid.

Good call on the non c-clip with the larger brakes MoparManiac, I forgot about that (BTW, most, if not all, 90s are non c-clip, mine was).
Pretty bad of me since I just pulled a D35C from my MJ in favor of an 8.8. I remember thinking, "those drums look big for some reason".

That's a good idea on the backing plates Jon.
One question though, is the hole on the backing plate the same diameter here?
Just wondering since the hole is smaller when doing the D35 ZJ disk swap on a 8.25, and needs to be widened.

Thanks for the great info! My D35 is a non C clip, so I can't swap.

The new 8.25 comes with everything so its not that big of a deal - I just feel like I wasted money on re-doing the D35 brakes - oh well.

Thanks for the great info! My D35 is a non C clip, so I can't swap.

The new 8.25 comes with everything so its not that big of a deal - I just feel like I wasted money on re-doing the D35 brakes - oh well.
Sell em to someone with a non-C clip D35, might be able to get at least a little bit back.

That's a good idea on the backing plates Jon.
One question though, is the hole on the backing plate the same diameter here?
Just wondering since the hole is smaller when doing the D35 ZJ disk swap on a 8.25, and needs to be widened.

So far the ones I have done have been the same Drew, the backing plates fit snug to the axle tube on the 8.25 but have a gap all the way around on the D-35.

So far the ones I have done have been the same Drew, the backing plates fit snug to the axle tube on the 8.25 but have a gap all the way around on the D-35.

I wonder if the D35C backing plates would fit then? If so, the OP could "upgrade" to the larger drums (aka keep the braking power he has now).

Back