• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many people are using?

Mr.G & Family

NAXJA Forum User
How many of you guys are using the stock XJ front skid plate? Is it a good idea to have it? I have 2 of them, i was just wondering if I should install it.
Same goes for the factory gas tank skid, I have 2 of those and 2 of the factory transfer case skids. (Install them all or not)

How many of you guys are using the stock XJ front skid plate? Is it a good idea to have it? I have 2 of them, i was just wondering if I should install it.
Front skid offers some rigidity to the front end but if you got a good aftermarket bumper you wont get anything out of it. In regards to its skid properties.. well, on a lifted rig all your linkage ends up going below the skid level anyways so it's useless for the most part.
Same goes for the factory gas tank skid, I have 2 of those and 2 of the factory transfer case skids. (Install them all or not)
I like the factory skid. Works good enough, and just needs couple whacks with a hammer about every year to two years.

So you are saying install the transfer & gas tank skids, and sell the front skids.

So you are saying install the transfer & gas tank skids, and sell the front skids.

Yup. Also before you put the tcase skid on, look into welding some reinforcement to it. I took some flatstock strips and welded them on (edge to the flat surface) along the tcase skid to make it less prone to bending. Worked miracles ;)

Sorry for posting in your chapter, but protection knows no boundaries.

I like my front skid. I have a 3.5" RE lift and 31" tires, and use a JCR Offroad front bumper. The skid gives the front a finished look and a place to hang my JKS sway bar end links when disconnected.

I believe the skid benefits are different for lift size and model year. I have heard the earlier skids (or was that aftermarket???) can contact your steering linkage after hard hits. If that is the case, I would not run one either.

I don't think I follow that logic on my '99, but then again I don't expect to severely contact a rock on the trail that fast, either. I have tested the skid on some hairy conditions and have not had a problem yet. Yeah, that is the dilemma; it would be too late at that point.

A taller lift = more aggressive trail conditions = higher risk of impact.

A smaller lift = a need for more protection = closer to the ground = higher risk of impact.

:dunno: You got me, man. I dunno which is better, but I like the look.

I'd be interested in one of your front skids.

Yup. Also before you put the tcase skid on, look into welding some reinforcement to it. I took some flatstock strips and welded them on (edge to the flat surface) along the tcase skid to make it less prone to bending. Worked miracles ;)

Sounds interesting, Can you show me a picture of what you did.

I did something similar where I welded two factory gas tank skids together, after crushing a single skid and my tank so badly I lost 5 gallons of capacity.

IMG_0634.jpg

http://www.shadowco.org/~cal/4x4/techstuff/gasskid/

i use the stock gas and tcase skids. for the tcase skid i mounted mine fluch on the Xmember so it wouldnt catch rocks and i also like the looks of the stock front skid too. when i had mine i mounted my tranny and PS coolers to it. kept'em safe and out of harms way.

i use the stock gas and tcase skids. for the tcase skid i mounted mine fluch on the Xmember so it wouldnt catch rocks and i also like the looks of the stock front skid too. when i had mine i mounted my tranny and PS coolers to it. kept'em safe and out of harms way.
Sweet I might do the same. Thanks!

Interesting idea, but mine got in the way of just about any time I went to work down there.

Now it protects a shel in my garage. Anyone that want to swap it for burger and beer at the San Fernando M&G, let me know and I'll bring it.

bburge

just my two cents about the front skid. I've gotten crap from lots of people for still running it but I have my reasons:
1. I get better gas mileage on the highway with it installed. atleast 1 mpg gain
2. Yea it doesnt protect as well for the 6" lifts but because I DID have it, it prevents my tie rod from getting SEVERLY bent. if the skid wasnt there, that big arse rock would have bent the tie-rod even further

just my two cents about the front skid. I've gotten crap from lots of people for still running it but I have my reasons:
1. I get better gas mileage on the highway with it installed. atleast 1 mpg gain
2. Yea it doesnt protect as well for the 6" lifts but because I DID have it, it prevents my tie rod from getting SEVERLY bent. if the skid wasnt there, that big arse rock would have bent the tie-rod even further

yeah I might just end up installing it and see how it looks.

Back