• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump Steer - Back Spacing - Rim Width

2001XJ-32

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I am new to all of this. I have read many forums though not found on that specifically answers my question.

I have an '01 xj with a 4.5" RE lift and drop arms. Currently, I am running Rubicon Moab rims with 33" MTR's and have very little bump steer. however, I also dont have great steering as the tires rub the control arms.

I would like to widen my rig, more backspacing to cure the steering and considering a wide rim too (12"?) though I really dont want to go out and spend the money to kill the way the xj drives.

Question: What is the relationship between Back Spacing and Rim Width in generating Bump Steer?

Thanks!

:dunce:

There is no relationship between backspacing, width, and bumpsteer.

And you don't want a 12" wide wheel, you want an 8" wide wheel. Your wheel should be ~4 inches narrower than the tire.

There used to be a good writeup on it, but I can't find it now. It has to do with the way the tread is put to ground with a radial tire and such - if you run a wider rim, you'll have more contact but the tire will not track as well.

Back