• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Stalled, Won't Start

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
My wife's 2001 died, stock. 4.0 AW4 with 52k

Did some searching and found a few "maybe's" as to what the probem might be but can't narrow it down. Before I go try to diagnose the issue and rip into the motor I thought I would try to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Drove fine last night, no rough start no rough idle. Drove it about a half mile this morning to get some breakfast, drove fine. About an hour later I took it out and about a mile from the house it just died (while rolling). I was coming up to a light and it just stalled. Tried to start it and it cranks but won't fire. Tow truck driver got it to start by hitting the gas tank while I was cranking it, it idled for about 15 seconds then died again. It cranks just fine so it's not the battery. The funny thing is, it just died, no hesitation, no spudder.

If it was a firing issue wouldn't I have a hard time starting it in the past?

If it was the CPS or TPS wouldn't it hesitate or have a hard time starting then die?

Any input would be greatly apprecitated.

OK - Went to start it (sat for an hour) and it started no problem. Has been idling for 5 minutes no issue.

Any ideas what may have caused the stall?

Just to be on the safe side I am going to run out and get some fuel system cleaner.

Thanks in advance...

Is there fuel pressure? Check it by turning on the key and depressing the needle in the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Fuel should squirt out in pretty good pressure. If there's no pressure, then the fuel pump isn't working. But, of course, you'd have to check it one time when it didn't start. Did you notice (hear) the fuel pump cycle on when you turned on the key when it wouldn't start?

Could also be the CPS or ignition module......heat up and quit, cool off and work, though the ignition module usually just goes out all at once and rarely works again.

I delt with a Grand AM that had the similar issues. It would run fine till the fuel pump would get warm then die. Most cases when the TPS goes you can get it to run by holding the gas pedal down just a bit. A CKS usually just goes however some are adjustable depending on the mount used. There is no ignition module on a 01 it's controlled by the PCM.

What your are talking about sounds a lot like a CPS, you might try unplugging and replugging the connector at the top of the Manifold back by cylinder 6.

Back