• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Front shocks

Jay Welch

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

The front end is very bouncy and obviously needs shocks. I'm not a suspension expert but have done a fair number of shock replacements over the years. Are the front shocks different than earlier years?

I haven't gotten it up in the air yet but when I first looked underneath it appeared that the lower mount section of the shocks were broken off.

Could someone explain to me what I'm seeing? I bought new shocks at Advance
Monroe "Gas-Matic LT" that were called out for the 2000 model. They had the normal 2 bolt mounting pad.

I searched around in the forum for an answer but found nothing that describes what I'm seeing.

Thanks for your help,
Jay in MA

You have exactly the same reaction I had when I looked under mine. LOL. Broken shocks. It's not easy to find much info here on that. I finally figured it our looking at the parts breakdowns and the FSM. Keep looking around for the shockes. The funny "broken shock" things inside the coil springs are the jounce bumpers. Somtimes I think they are called "bump stops" on this forum. Near as I can tell, not much changed over the years on the suspensions.

Thanks WinterBeater. I was feeling a little stupid even asking the question. I appreciate your clearing it up for me. I'll get it in the air in a couple of days to take a look.

Thanks again,
Jay

...,I was feeling a little stupid even asking the question,...
Remember: there are no stupid questions, unfortunately, that won't stop people from pointing and laughing.
What did you see when you got it up?
Couldn't see anything, he went blind :shocked:(your mother warned you about that.)

My wife standing there with a smile from ear to ear....everyone's a comedian.

What did you see when you got it up?

Sure enough there were the shocks at the rear of the front axle. It's really kinda funny. No excuses...at least none that are legit.

We don't drive the Jeep much so it's not been a priority for me. But then my wife's van started acting up and I figured I'd better change them....then I fixed the van and didn't need the Jeep again. We moved into a new house and a lot of my tools are still packed away and a 16 year old golden retriever is taking up my garage bay.

Now add on top of this I'm getting old, can't see much and am getting lazy to boot. Less motivation all the time to work on the vehicles.

See??? None of them are legit.

Jay in MA

Back