• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana Super 44?

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
So i found a rear dana 44 a guy wants to sell out of a grand cherokee i believe. it has rear disc brakes, 37000 miles on it, and it has a limited slip. he was telling me that it is a "special" dana 44 that jeep made and its called the dana super 44. he said it is a little bit bigger than the regular 44. now i have never heard of this. is he messing with me or have i just never heard of this before?

one more question. if this is true, are parts for it hard to find? would i have to special order them?

Walk away. Aluminum 44 is not worth the effort to swap in.

So i found a rear dana 44 a guy wants to sell out of a grand cherokee i believe. it has rear disc brakes, 37000 miles on it, and it has a limited slip. he was telling me that it is a "special" dana 44 that jeep made and its called the dana super 44. he said it is a little bit bigger than the regular 44. now i have never heard of this. is he messing with me or have i just never heard of this before?

one more question. if this is true, are parts for it hard to find? would i have to special order them?

The guy is tricking you, cause you obviously dont know. He's full of sh!t.

They're garbage. Only thing worth a damn is the disc brakes.

A real Super 44 is a Dana 44 with a 33-spline locker and 33-spline alloy shafts. Definitely not the same as a D44A out of a ZJ.

The guy is tricking you, cause you obviously dont know. He's full of sh!t.

They're garbage. Only thing worth a damn is the disc brakes.

do those disc brakes swap directly in to an xj44?

alright thank you thats exactly what i was looking for!

I agree stay away from that axle however the guy selling it is correct with most his information. The Grand Cherokee does have the hd d44 where it does have a larger ring gear then a standard d44.

They're the same size. The D44A, uses Corvette/Viper D44 IRS gears, not normal D44 gears.

X2. Both use 8.5 inch ring gears. The pinions are slightly larger though. Still not worth it. They are also a c/clip design as opposed to a bolt in style shaft like a xj/tj D44.

Back