• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Cracked Coolant Tank

NAXJA Forum User
I have replaced the fill tank on my 1990 4.0L Cherokee a couple times now. It is cracked, and leaking again. I was wondering if there are any advantages to converting from a closed to open system. Except for the obvious(getting rid of the tank, and stupid leaky T-Fittings) If I covert to an open system will it help my Cherokee run cooler, or would I just be wasting my time?

I have replaced the fill tank on my 1990 4.0L Cherokee a couple times now. It is cracked, and leaking again. I was wondering if there are any advantages to converting from a closed to open system. Except for the obvious(getting rid of the tank, and stupid leaky T-Fittings) If I covert to an open system will it help my Cherokee run cooler, or would I just be wasting my time?

no matter what system you run, the engine should be between 190-210.

the advantag the open system has is it takes out the weak link in the closed system, the expansion tank and cap.

the only time my 89 runs hot is when the tank or cap fails.

I got tired of the bottles cracking and the caps constantly coming loose on my 89. When either happens you instantly boil over from the lose of pressure.

The radiator was stock and fairly plugged up, so I simply replaced it with the rad for the "open" setup. I flushed the heater core and ditched the heater valve. Had great heat and reliable cooling ever since.

Back