• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOST: about 2/3 of a 7100 shock shaft.

cal

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
If found, I'd sorta like it for my 'broken stuff' bin. You'd find it somewhere above the waterfall in Clawhammer.

brokeshock1.jpg

brokeshock2.jpg

Prop's goes to MattyJ for muscling my coil back under the XJ, and ratchet strapping it in place to get off of the trail.

brokeshock3.jpg

You know, its funny that you should ask.

Rick, Matty and I went on a night run up claw. Rick ended up on his roof, and then broke his steering. He had spares, at camp..so we worked his rig off of the trail, and he climbed over my center console to my back seat (my rear doors don't open..). Not very long later, I start hearing all kinds of whacky noise up front .. I hop out to look at it, and the damn coil isn't on the tower anymore.

I walk back to Matty "hey, gimme a hand a minute.. I spit out a coil."

Matty looks at me "I didn't think you'd be one of those <language filter>'s who had coils that fall out when you droop".

"hmm. You know .. you're right. I'm not." .. and I ran back up to my rig curious what was actually wrong.

It looks like I picked up a rock with the tire, forced it between the tire and shock, breaking the shock off. Next hole, the tire drooped, coil fell out, and in repairing it we ripped the brake line off. I carry spare lines, Matty had some fluid, and a little ratche strap magic got us back on the trail.

I was surprised just how well the jeep drove home with no swaybar, no steering dampter, no shock, beadlocked 35's with airsoft balancing, and a ratchet strap as a limit strap.

X2... you have some strange luck on the trail Cal

It looks a lot worse than it is. Broken shock, but its rebuildable with $50 in parts. Broken bumpstop on the ACOS, $17 brake line.. just made for a long night.

The rig's already fixed and ready to go. ;)

Oh, I'll need help. ;)

This week we're doing an automatic conversion with an aw4/rubi 241. Once that's done, I'll finish up the stroker, get that running and get it smogged/tags. I figure that will take me into summer (overdoing it as usual), and then I'll drag it up to Goatmans for a body chop and some cage work.

Once that's done, coilovers, 3 link, deavers in the rear, and some new lighter bumpers I think.

Prime example of why not to use your shocks to limit your droop. It's funny because it all worked out ok and I can see cal matty and rick all in a family guy episode in that senario

Prime example of why not to use your shocks to limit your droop. It's funny because it all worked out ok and I can see cal matty and rick all in a family guy episode in that senario

The 7100 is built to function as a limit strap outside of high speed environments.

That's one of its big selling points.. ;)

The 7100 is built to function as a limit strap outside of high speed environments.

That's one of its big selling points.. ;)

I did not know that.
:D

And the rest of your shaft could be anywhere. I noticed it was still attached when we were trying to get the spring reset. You probably broke it off at that tippy section towards the top. Your front end bounced several times prior to coming to rest!!!

I did not know that.

And the rest of your shaft could be anywhere. I noticed it was still attached when we were trying to get the spring reset. You probably broke it off at that tippy section towards the top. Your front end bounced several times prior to coming to rest!!!

No, it was missing there; matty and I had a discussion as to whether or not it could still be in the shock body (and siezed) which I'm sure at this point is not the case.

shrug

yes, it was a fun week of putting Cal's junk back together. Mind you this was the second round of carnage for the weekend.

Another fun recovery @ JV for matty :D

Its all in a day or nights work in JV. That place always throws something at you that isn't expected (read: broken ignition key cylinder, before you reach the lake bed :D)... Kinda what makes it fun, maybe not at the time, but once you're back at camp you can laugh about it.

Back