• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding in my frame stiffeners

89RockHeep

NAXJA Forum User
Any tips on welder set up?I think im going to try it at 90 amps, a 6013 1/8 rod, on DC-, its a newer lincoln 220v stick, the braces are 1/4'', and i think im going to bevel the edges to ease welding, im nervous about the over head portion.

I wouldnt even consider doing it with a stick!

Its just to hard to control the heat,with a mig you can just do multiple spot welds without blowing thru.

Stick is harder to get a good weld on the thin uni-frame without really good technique. It's easier to blow through the thinner stuff. Are you pretty good with that stick? I hope so.

Stick is harder to get a good weld on the thin uni-frame without really good technique. It's easier to blow through the thinner stuff. Are you pretty good with that stick? I hope so.
Well, we will find out, im confident about all the side welds, but the overhead is really what im concerned about. Does any one have anything to say about using this set up, other than it wont work, or use mig. The mig i have is a crappy 90 amp HF flux core that i got from a repo i did last summer, still in the box.

The 6013 rod will work, but something tells me you arent too familiar with stick welding? You may want to practice on a few pieces of similar thicknesses. It will certainly work just fine, requires patience, and skill. The 1/4 stiffeners are thicker than the unibody, so you will want to concentrate your "puddle" on the thicker material and work your way over to the thin stuff slowly. 90 amps is a good starting point. Make sure the rods are very dry, and the material is very clean, it will help with rod sticking, and striking an arc.

Overhead is simple enough, just takes practice... and a good thick welding apron/jacket/tough skin...LOL...

Good luck with it.

~James

The 6013 rod will work, but something tells me you arent too familiar with stick welding? You may want to practice on a few pieces of similar thicknesses. It will certainly work just fine, requires patience, and skill. The 1/4 stiffeners are thicker than the unibody, so you will want to concentrate your "puddle" on the thicker material and work your way over to the thin stuff slowly. 90 amps is a good starting point. Make sure the rods are very dry, and the material is very clean, it will help with rod sticking, and striking an arc.

Overhead is simple enough, just takes practice... and a good thick welding apron/jacket/tough skin...LOL...

Good luck with it.

~James
I will in no way call myself a pro, but i have a decent amount of seat time, yea ive got a burn on my chest my fiance calls my third nipple from my first over head experience(cracked the frame right in front of the leaf mounts on my yota on trail,2 batterys and jumpers for that one) , hence my nervous-ness, haha ive got aprons now though, as to thin to thick material, thats why im beveling the thicker piece, that should help shouldnt it? also would running DC- on the over head help with puddle control, as it arcs from the piece therefore drawing the weld up?

I would rather do it with the hf flux core with some decent wire imho

Eh. took my chances with the stick,started at 90 amps dc+, ended up at 95 amps, dc-, more difficult then i assumed,burned through a tiny bit on the first plug weld, though im confident in the strength of the welds, not my prettiest, but it will do nicely.

Eh. took my chances with the stick,started at 90 amps dc+, ended up at 95 amps, dc-, more difficult then i assumed,burned through a tiny bit on the first plug weld, though im confident in the strength of the welds, not my prettiest, but it will do nicely.
Pics or Ban!

tits or gtfo... Oh I mean pics yeah.

I just finished up my stiffeners a few weeks ago and I definitely wouldn't want to do it with a stick. It was hard enough laying 20' of weld with a MIG.

Not saying it can't be done but I'm curious to see your results.

Back