• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remains of a lifter?

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my oil pan gasket & rear main seal yesterday, 111K on the Odometer (I purchased it with 85K on it), The Jeep runs great, No issues whatsoever other than a "Getting worse by the day" oil leak coming from the drivers side oil pan gasket. I figured that while I had the pan down I would change the RMS.

When I dropped the Pan there were a couple of big chunks of metal & lots of metal chips in the bottom of the sump; A Closer look revealed that it looked like the remains of a Valve lifter!!!!!!! :shocked:
I fugured Here I go! Then It came to me! that there is no way this jeep is running this smooth missing a lifter + There were No codes up.

I have big hands so it was hard for me to reach up & feel that all the lifters are in place, I called one of my buddies who has a nice auto repair shop, He has worked on many 4.0l Jeep engines; He came over & confirmed that all the lifters were in place. We pulled the valve cover & verified that all the push rods were there & we turned the engine through a few times by hand to verify all valve operations.
The only thing we could figure is that the metal was the remains of an old repair & the mechanic who did it was too lazy :wierd:(Or stupid) to drop the pan & clean out the debris.
I assembled everything, Filled it with fresh mobil 1 & Filter, It started right up & runs fine! :party:
Also the engine was spotless, No sludge buildup anywhere, Nothing in the pan except the old lifter parts!

id say its had cam work then, maybe that lifter is the reasoning for it...And just to lazy to clean it up, when i stroked mine out, i got 75 cents out of the head and 2 half dollars out of the pan. Imagine finding that.

when i stroked mine out, i got 75 cents out of the head and 2 half dollars out of the pan. Imagine finding that.

You actually found coins in the engine?

You actually found coins in the engine?
yep, i got the truck with 30k on a new long block, so, i stroked it,the usual 258 crank short rod stroke, and found change in there, this past weekend i help a guy throw some AFR heads on his chevy, he found a quarter and a penny sitting next to the oil passage on his old heads, weird.

Back