• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tach and speedo on a 98 xj intermittent

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and coul dnot find any thing related to the tachometer and speedometer working intermittently on an 98 xj sport wiht full guages.

does any one know what is wrong and how to fix it? Loose plug? bad guages? :huh:

Do a search on intermittant gauge panel, short version, self docking plugs in the back of the cluster get dirty, oxydation, loose. Three methods, first, remove cluster, clean both the pins and sockets, reinstall, I do a variation of this by tweaking the pins *JUST A HAIR* so they don't quite go in straight, tweak too much and they will bend, all I do is just twist them a hair with a set of micro-pliers. #2 Go to dealer and order the replacement sockets, remove the old ones and solder n heat shrink in the new ones. #3 Drop off at dealer and give credit card and say 'fix'...#3 is expensive especially if they throw in a new cluster panel ~$600 for the panel... I'd do #1 first.

RichP said:
#2 Go to dealer and order the replacement sockets, remove the old ones and solder n heat shrink in the new ones.

How much do these cost? Does it fix the problem for good?

Dash on my '98 Classic has been on and off so many times forget it. Same problem as Rich, until I complete: remote start, running lites, reverse lites, etc... dash is always apart. I have ADD, permanent problem.

A good slam solves problem temp., but go w/Rich for permanent solution. I didn't even think about it until Rich responded. Wise man...

Thank ya' Lordy...

Well, I am getting the same problem now. How many conductors are in this connector? Just 2 or several more? Wanna make sure that I find the right connector the very first time in there.....Thanks...Rusty

I actually have not had a problem since i removed the cluster and put it back in. once the dash is apart you have 4 screws that hold the cluster in. then pull evenly on the cluster straight towards you and you. that will disconnect it from teh plugs. the male end of the plug is moulded to teh back of the cluster and teh femal end is fixed on the dash. No loose wires. possibly put some plug grease on the terminals and reinstall. Been fine ever since.

Back