• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel mix with Exhaust?

JeepDawg

NAXJA Forum User
There is a very strong smell of fuel coming out of the exhaust, and I have almost everything replaced - new Weber, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, etc.

At this point, I think the fuel is somehow mixing with the exhaust - especially since I have seen black droplets shooting out the exhaust. I was leaning towards getting performance headers and entirely new exhaust. But I was curious about some possible explanations for how fuel may mix with the exhaust? Would the problem be solved with an entirely new exhaust system, or should I look for something else as well?

'85 XJ 4 cyl 2.5l

Look at your spark plugs first, they will tell you alot of ills, too rich, too lean, too hot, too cold [spark plug temp range wise] and go from there. Did you put a fuel pressure regulator in front of that weber ? I had to when I did the weber conversion on the YJ otherwise it ran too rich and pumped way too much fuel.
Now if it just does it when it's cold that may be just condensation from the engine and exhaust system, that usually takes about 20 min to dry the system out from water vapor.

I meant, I "had to" (put in the fuel pressure regulator). (The regulator) made a big difference in the overall performance. Thanks for the suggestion (of checking the plugs), I'll do just that.

Any other thoughts on how fuel may mix with exhuast?

JeepDawg said:
I meant, I "had to" (put in the fuel pressure regulator). (The regulator) made a big difference in the overall performance. Thanks for the suggestion (of checking the plugs), I'll do just that.

Any other thoughts on how fuel may mix with exhuast?

Yea, if it's running super rich the unburned stuff will seep right past the rings. We never did get that weber to run right, sometimes it was OK other times it would not start and idle. Gee, reminds me of some of the carbed cars I had from the 60's and 70's, all a PIA. Love fuel injection....

Back