• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making my own plug 'n play trailer harness

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
So I picked up a trailer wiring harness from a fellow NAXJA user expecting it to be one of those plug and play doodads since it was listed for a 93. Well I received it and found out it was just a universal 5 wire to 4 wire adapter. So I then decided i was going to just get some connectors from the JY and make my own plug and play harness.
But now that I have been following some wiring diagrams I think I have come to the realization that the rear lighting harness splits well before the rear of the vehicle.
Am I correct?
From what I can tell the left and right turn signal wires split after connector 203.
So how do these Hoppy plug and play harnesses accomplish this if the split is up near the dash?
Do they plug in way up there and run all the way back?
Or am I just missing something and the connector behind the lr quarter trim does have the wires I so desire?
When searching on this subject I read that it splits under the trim next to the lf seat and then runs back along the tranny tunnel.
Is this correct?
My plan was to wire this hoss up and just throw it in with out testing every connector I can find.

Thanks in advance!

I bought a universal a while back. Just hooked it to the wires I needed from one side, and the one wire needed for the opposite turn signal. I think I might have had to buy a converter box to get the turn signal/brake functioning correctly.

The plug and play trailer wire converters install near the left rear tail lamp, behind the plastic trim panel. They are not that expensive and are so much easier to install that I wouldn't bother with trying to install a universal splice and tap unit that may also require a converter unit.

A converter box is needed. The T style harness should come with a converter built into the harness. I would just try and find a new T style harness just to make it easy. I used a universal converter box and used a test light to find the wires for Right, Left, Marker, Stop. On my 97 the wires I tapped into were behind the plastec interior panel in the left side of the cargo area.

Well I got to looking at the schematics again and found what I was missing. There is a splice coming from the right turn signal that goes over to the connector behind the left rear quarter. This splice winds up going to nothing unless there is an additional harness between the two connectors. So in other words this will be easy to do now. I was also looking at the wrong connector initially.

A converter box is needed. The T style harness should come with a converter built into the harness.
The universal harness that I have acquired has the necessary "converter" on it.

They are not that expensive and are so much easier to install that I wouldn't bother with trying to install a universal splice and tap unit that may also require a converter unit.
I know that they are not that expensive but, I found out that with shipping I could have gotten the same harness that I have now for like five bucks cheaper at autozone. I also did not like the thought of splice into my junk (not that I haven't done it before). Plus I like wiring projects, so I figured what the hay.

Well I got her all wired up! Here's some pics,

So here's what I had to work with. Just your generic 5 wire to 4 wire harness.
P1010749.jpg

Here are the two connectors needed to complete this. They are located behind the left rear quarter panel trim (or in other words behind the spare tire).
P1010752.jpg

P1010753.jpg

Here are the colors (the colors may differ from yours the plugs were out of a '93).
P1010754.jpg

P1010755.jpg

Here is how they matched up to the colors on the harness.
P1010760.jpg

There are two wires that you do nothing with (if you are wiring up a 4 wire).
P1010762.jpg

You will need to solder the 3 ends of the reverse lights wires.
P1010761.jpg

Everything heat shrunk.
P1010763.jpg

Tape it all up and you are done!
P1010765.jpg

P1010764.jpg

Perhaps somebody can help me. It appears my 97 came with the factory towing package (I say this because it has a tranny cooler & the class 3 receiver says "Chrysler".

Where can I find a T style tap for my rear lights to setup a trailer wiring setup? Or is there something in behind the trim because it has the towing package?

Last edited:
On-line or at just about any store that has trailer hitches. Hoppy is brand name you can GOOGLE.

Back