• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame stiffeners

joeyschribar

NAXJA Forum User
is it important to have your frame stiffeners all 1 continuous piece all bent up to fit the rails, or could you section them.

what i planned on doing was using as much as i could, and where it bends up, cut a piece and weld it in.

then overtop of both plates, fishplate it.

to me it seems a whole lot easier then trying to have 1 huge intricate bend piece of 1/8 plate!

It will decrease strength (vs. a one piece), add weight and increase the amount of heat you are applying to the unibody. Should work... your call.

Get a long enough piece to do one whole side of the xj, and uses 2 jacks to mold it in place. Start at one end,line everything up, put a jack at the end, weld it, move the jack down and if needed incorperate the 2nd jack, weld and slide the jacks down as you go. Its really not that hard.

i am going from where my bumper is to the entire rear of my jeep

of course along the straight sides it will be 1 solid piece,

but where the rear fender well is, the uni rail goes up and curves a bit also, and it was at that spot that i would put a new piece on and fishplate overtop both layers to ensure strength.

if someone has actually ran a solid piece across the whole rig then props to them because (to me)
thats some really amazing work!

if you add a plate overtop, would it act just as if it were a solid piece of steel?
thanks for the input, i really want to do this properly. The rear of my jeep is a frame i built so i need to make sure the uni-frame rails are supported throughout.

Back