• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interesting drive home

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
The wife and I left the campground about noon Sunday. Travel through Indiana was ok with some rain. Chicago had tornado warnings and travel was down to 5mph with lots of flooding.

Then things were ok until Milwaukee where it started to downpour again. Outside of Miltown it was decent driving until the temp hit 32 and things were freezing and snow was coming down hard.

Made it just past Sheboygan and called it quits. Camped in the van next to a restaurant and gas station until late this morning. Arrived home to about 9" of fresh snow.

Glad to be home safe but took about 24 hours to get home!!:eek:

Kim

I was wondering if you ever got there or not. On my way I hit a little hail in Chicago but managed to get home about noon. We didn't get much of anything for snow down here in Racine though, just some flurries last night. Good to hear you got home alright though.

Mike

Sorry I didnt wait for you guys... Got a call at 5am from the parents and decided to try an get as far as I could before I hit the bad stuff... As you prob saw in the WF09 pix forum, I had a bit of an adventure...

Glad to hear ya made it home Kim! :cheers:

Kim,

I was watching the weather yesterday evening and this morning and noticed you had not posted up yet...started to get abit concerned. Glad you and Jen made it back safely :thumbup:

If the van was a rockin' dont bother knockin' :D

I got lucky. I pulled into the driveway 5 minutes before the storm hit.

I drove through the pre-storm wind and spitting rain the entire way though.

Glad everyone got home safe, especially those that had a long trip.

The wife and I left the campground about noon Sunday. Travel through Indiana was ok with some rain. Chicago had tornado warnings and travel was down to 5mph with lots of flooding.

Then things were ok until Milwaukee where it started to downpour again. Outside of Miltown it was decent driving until the temp hit 32 and things were freezing and snow was coming down hard.

Made it just past Sheboygan and called it quits. Camped in the van next to a restaurant and gas station until late this morning. Arrived home to about 9" of fresh snow.

Glad to be home safe but took about 24 hours to get home!!:eek:

Kim

Damn Kim, Glad you guys got home ok!

We limped 35 miles to crawfordsville in wind and rain to put my alternator on in an autozone parking lot. The wind was whipping me around i can only imagine it wasn't fun for Big Hank dragging the ZJ right in front of me!

We drove in rain, but nothing too bad. As we arrived in Plainfield, IL we noticed all the flooding. We had over three inches of rain this weekend and more rain expected tonite. The DuPage river is already at flood stage. It makes iteresting driving (most roads are closed). Luckily we sit up high and are a few blocks from the river, so we should be good. Glad everyone is home safe.
Sue

We had a very interesting ride home also.
The wind blew 55 MPH with gusts to 60mph, that was right from NOAA weather radio.
A few times I swear the Ramada was on two wheels!
We exited the next exit and waited out the storm tucked between some semis.
White we were waiting, I was honored enough to record this with my cell phone.

http://69.64.165.181/{E72459E1-810C...C0B5-F3E3-42DB-AF97-08FBB877C764}/ftvideo.WMV

I do not know if it will work or not...

when we got to 294 and 55, it was a very heavy rain and windy.
stayed in line with some semi's .
amazing how cars want to drive right friggin next to you
while the weather is at it's worse.
lead, follow or get the heck out of my way.

BOB

Wind was pretty bad. My Jeep even down shifted on flat level ground a couple of times. I'm geared a bit on the low end of things too. 2 hands on the wheel most of the way home.

Last edited:
We had a very interesting ride home also.
The wind blew 55 MPH with gusts to 60mph, that was right from NOAA weather radio.
A few times I swear the Ramada was on two wheels!
We exited the next exit and waited out the storm tucked between some semis.
White we were waiting, I was honored enough to record this with my cell phone.

http://69.64.165.181/{E72459E1-810C...C0B5-F3E3-42DB-AF97-08FBB877C764}/ftvideo.WMV

I do not know if it will work or not...

YOU SERIOUSLY WITNESSED THAT??? Jen

I had no wind, no rain, 69* and sun.

okay, it rained, slight wind, 40* by the time I hit the driveway. dusting of snow when I woke up Mon.

glad to hear all made it home safe.

dan

yeah i must have got while the getting was good. attica to chicago in 2hrs and 15 minutes. glad everyone got home safely.

cheers,

jj

A little wind....some light rain....

the bigger issue was not enough sleep the night before.....so i had to stop and take a nap on the way.

I hate getting old.

Rev

we had a downpour just leaving Attica and another going through Lafayette...there was a little wind, but nothing like the wind we got after getting home. Oh and just after getting home and getting everything unloaded, we had a tornadic thunderstorm roll through with a few funnel clouds spotted around town...but I was safely downstairs in the basement installing a new water heater...

mac 'no fire hydrants were injured over the weekend' gyvr

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=53850214

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=53850037

Here is two video links for footage we got on our way through Milwaukee and Chicago. It's amazing how stupid people can get when it's only raining. Of course I stopped using the video feature on my camera and tried to take pictures of the other morans we came across. My favorite was the car in the ditch, with water up to his steering column. Real glad we pulled off the highway when we did on Sunday!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=53850214

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=53850037

Here is two video links for footage we got on our way through Milwaukee and Chicago. It's amazing how stupid people can get when it's only raining. Of course I stopped using the video feature on my camera and tried to take pictures of the other morans we came across. My favorite was the car in the ditch, with water up to his steering column. Real glad we pulled off the highway when we did on Sunday!

So thats what happened to the 4Runner. We were stuck in the rubberneck traffic behind it. By the time we got to it they pulled it over the median and were getting it on a flatbed.

We had a worse time getting to Winterfest than getting home. A very strong headwind (slightly off to the passenger side) the whole way from Chicago to Lafayette. The ride home had some good rain but thats about it. Glad everyone made it home in one piece!

Back