• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those running a D44 rear.........

Matt98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Have you broken any 30 spline shafts, and if so what size tire were you running? Trying to decide if I wanna upgrade to 33 spline shafts over 30 spliners in my new project. Only gonna run 35's.

Have you broken any 30 spline shafts, and if so what size tire were you running? Trying to decide if I wanna upgrade to 33 spline shafts over 30 spliners in my new project. Only gonna run 35's.

I've been fine with stock shafts and 33's haven't really tested my 35's yet. I would think with a decent set of alloy shafts you should be fine with the 30 spline. Also makes it easier to get spares if you break something.

What 33 spline kit are you looking at? I do NOT like the Super 44 kit with the Detroit, let me know what you're planning and I'll fill you in on my opinion.

because of the ring gear spacer?

What 33 spline kit are you looking at? I do NOT like the Super 44 kit with the Detroit, let me know what you're planning and I'll fill you in on my opinion.

I can get it cheaper if I piece it together, but this pretty much the way I was thinking of going. What do you not like about it John? All the shimming required to make the Detroit work?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Maybe I'll just stick to the 30 spline shafts. I have to get aftermarket shafts regardless, because I'll be converting to a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, and I don't wanna run spacers.

I run 35sp Dutchman axles in mine. Same size as the D60. They will make what you and warranty it too. They are in Portland.

Running an ARB?

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Maybe I'll just stick to the 30 spline shafts. I have to get aftermarket shafts regardless, because I'll be converting to a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, and I don't wanna run spacers.
You don't need to get aftermarket shafts, your factory ones are plenty strong enough for even 35's. You just need to get your axles and brake drums re-drilled to 5-4.5, thats what I did and it cost around $100 for my dana 44 rear. I have been running with stock shafts on 33's for a very long time and now 35's with no problems. No need to go alloy unless you are going crazy with big tires and a bigger engine.

The reason I decided against going 30 spline was the ARB being the only locker option.

I run 33's on with an OX and 30 spline AlloyUSa shafts. Think you can run an OX in the 33 spline flavor too. No issue here so far but then I tend not get all that extreme. I am a luddite at heart and like cables over air lines.

I run 33's on with an OX and 30 spline AlloyUSa shafts. Think you can run an OX in the 33 spline flavor too. No issue here so far but then I tend not get all that extreme. I am a luddite at heart and like cables over air lines.

fixed it I meant to say 35 spline. I currently have 30 spline shafts, I would have paid for 35 spline shafts if there were options other than an arb.

WHy down on ARB? I am mapping out my axle plans, just curious if you have had personal trail expereince with one or another. I was leaning towards the 33 spl OX solution.

Share your story:clap:

I have the stock 30 spline shafts in the rear, it's been no problem thus far through some moderate/hard wheeling, nothing insane though.

As far as the OX/ARB issue, I'd go ARB if I could do it again. The OX operation isn't as consistent or simple as the ARB, you have to account for the cable both from a routing perspective and protection at the diff cover. I've had ongoing issues with the cable actuation, it's finicky. The ARB in my other rig has been flawless from day one.

Mine are stock D44 30 spline shafts. 33" TSL's (similar size to 35's) and spooled. No issues at all.

I am relatively easy on my stuff so I would feel comfortable with 37's and the stock shafts. There are others that could easily break stock 30splines with 35's in the right situation.

Michael

WHy down on ARB? I am mapping out my axle plans, just curious if you have had personal trail expereince with one or another. I was leaning towards the 33 spl OX solution.

Share your story:clap:

Price an complexity, I don't like the idea of air lines. I would feel more comfortable with a Detroit or Lunchbox locker.

Back