• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE with front drive shaft!

rcliftedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. so I have heard alot about using a front drive shaft with a slik yoke eliminator and Im wondering how much lift you can run with this setup. I thought I read somewhere that someone with a 4.5" lift was at about the end of it lenght but still had no problems. Im running 6.5".

thanks guys!

I carry a front shaft for my spare drive line for both my front and rear, im at 8" lift and have no problems running the spare for the rear shaft.

ok. I just wanted to make sure. a buddy of mine said that I could just use another front shaft instead buying a hole new shaft. thats good to know that I can do that. thanks~

how hard is it to get the front one fixed up to be good for the back? or can you just bolt it in?

So i am gonna be at about 6.5 inches of lift with 33s. i have the auto tranny and am gonna get the SYE. and i have a Dana 44 rear end im gonna instal soon. would i be able to just throw a front driveshaft in the rear and wheel with it? as soon as i get some money after that i am gonna have a custom rear drive shaft made.

So i am gonna be at about 6.5 inches of lift with 33s. i have the auto tranny and am gonna get the SYE. and i have a Dana 44 rear end im gonna instal soon. would i be able to just throw a front driveshaft in the rear and wheel with it? as soon as i get some money after that i am gonna have a custom rear drive shaft made.

I would measure first before you run out and buy a front shaft.

Remember you need a auto and a D44 or 8.25 to run a auto front shaft. No manual or D35.

I ran the RE hack N tap with whatever the spicer adaptor is and my stock front shaft in the rear. I have a 97 aw4, xj44,hp30, yata yata with about 5-6" rear lift and no problems so far.

ok thanks that exactly what i was looking for.

ok good. just out of curiousity, why does it have to be a d44/8.25 and an auto.

A auto is longer than a manual making the rear shaft needed shorter. Same goes with a D44 and 8.25 which both have a 1" longer pinion than a D35 making a shorter shaft again which adds up to being the same length as the front auto shaft.

so which one can't use a front shaft from a 87' auto for the rear with a sye and a d35 ....,then what is the best configuration ; cuz i'm @ 4.5 inches of lift and don't want any problems and it would be nice to carry 1 spare ds for both ends !!!!

what about a ford 8.8? I would think it wouldnt matter because the pinion seems pretty long. only reason I ask is because im planning on putting an 8.8 next winter or maybe this summer depending on when I get it rebuilt.

so which one can't use a front shaft from a 87' auto for the rear with a sye and a d35 ....,then what is the best configuration ; cuz i'm @ 4.5 inches of lift and don't want any problems and it would be nice to carry 1 spare ds for both ends !!!!
Best configration for using a stock auto front shaft is to have a auto and a D44 or 8.25 rear axle.

what about a ford 8.8? I would think it wouldnt matter because the pinion seems pretty long. only reason I ask is because im planning on putting an 8.8 next winter or maybe this summer depending on when I get it rebuilt.
I have heard they have a similar length pinion to the D44 and 8.25 so would be fine if this is the case.

With a SYE, it'll be bolt in.

Remember, it olny works for auto trannys. I had to have a front one lenghtened to fit in the rear with my 5spd with 4" or so of lift. YMMV.

Excuese the noob question :worship:

Are you saying that with my AX15 8.25 combo I need a custom front shaft in order to carry a single one size spare?

You won't need a custom front shaft, your front will remain the same length. it will be your rear that will have to be different. And you may not be able to interchange the two.

Thanks. I understand that it is the rear shaft that is modded w/ a SYE. What I'm wanting is a way to have a spare shaft that will fit both...

Back