• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anything wrong with aftermarket CPS?

smoore

NAXJA Forum User
Or should I go get a Mopar? I've read the old threads, including the one from '03 concerning the CPS not being available for pre '91 then. Checker is listing one for my year so I guess they are making them now.

The symptoms my wife's '90 Cherokee is having seem to relate exactly to what I read here (thanks everyone!) means the CPS (crank sensor) is going south. When it won't start it has no spark, leave it set for an hour and it'll start. It is still intermittent as of the moment so I'm going to replace it sooner rather than later.

Again. Wife's car, not mine! She expects cars to just work when she wants to use them (sheesh!) so the unplug/plug trick isn't going to fly for more than this week. Is the Mopar part worth whatever premium Cesar demands or should I just head down to the autoparts store and buy the $40 aftermarket one?

Also, should I expect to be able to get the grommet from the aftermarket manufacturers? Seems that would be a fairly important piece for this little repair. Without renewal of this grommet the CPS won't read correctly and might even contact the flexplate/flywheel, right? Since it's been working for years like this I tend to think it's already been replaced with the post-recall or whatever version.

I got mine from Amazon.com yup I was a brave asshat but it's been going strong 3 years now and 29 bucks shipped I can't complain :) so to answer for the most part no nothing is wrong with going aftermarket for your CPS, or any electronic sensor IMO.

I worked 22 years in engineering with a company that (among other things) provided certain automative sensors to the big 3 automakers. We performed extensive reliability testing and failure analysis on both ours AND aftermarket units. There is a difference in quality and overall reliability. I'm not knocking all aftermarket sensors but if you want to look purely at the "lifespan" of sensors, the OEM factory sensors have proven longevity that IMHO, is worth the extra money. To each their own.

Back