• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrong oil weight in the diff.

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So what's the worse that can happen with the wrong weight? Am I looking at serious damage or...?

I changed the front diff oil yesterday only to discover today that I put 1qt. of 75W-90 and half a quart of 80W-90. The bottles look exactly the same and I guess I wasn't paying attention not only when I bought them but when I was putting it in. So not only do I have the wrong oil in there (75w) but now it's mixed with the kind it's supposed to have in there. Am I going to have to open it up again and put the right oil in or is it ok to leave it?

i use 75-90 royal purple in my diffs with no issues, i think youll be fine

i use 75-90 royal purple in my diffs with no issues, i think youll be fine

OK, just curious. It's my first time changing the oil so I didn't want to screw anything up. :D The book said 80w-90 so I assumed that's all you could use.

Now I know I can use the quart of 75w Royal Purple I have laying around for the rear.:roflmao:

Make sure if you have a limited slip you use the friction modifier so that the clutch pack engages!

??? why I ran 20w50 in a front d44 for 3 years with a lot of abuse and never had any problms I would not run it in a rear cuse its always being used.

Differentials are specifically engineered for a certain viscosity and mixture of lubricant. It's always best to run what is recommended by the mfg. for best longevity. No good reason not to.

Back