• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing rear window

Chero93

NAXJA Forum User
my rear window shattered one day, for some reason. it has tint on it so it stayed in place. now i would have it professionally done, but i heard it was expensive, so how would you replace it. could someone give me a step-by-step intructions. and how to hooked the defroster up.

but before i go do this on my own does anyone know how much it would cost, to have it done by a pro?

its a '93 cherokee sport

1984-1996 Cherokee rear windows are held in place by the rubber gasket. Find a replacement window and if you get a used one, grab the gasket also.

You will need a helper. Install the rubber gasket on the window glass. Place the bottom edge of the gasket/window in the opening. Have the helper hold the glass in place. From the bottom edge of the window work the rubber gasket into the opening. It would be best to use a smooth wooden tool to do this. Maybe the handle of a kitchen wooden spoon or a paint brush handle.

Some people use a length of 3/8" cotton rope to install the gasket. Put the rope in the notch in the gasket with both ends at the bottom corner of the glass. Put the window in the opening, have the helper hold it in place. From inside the Jeep, slowly pull on one end of the rope so that the rubber gasket flexes and pops into place. You might have to try a couple times until you figure out how it works.

I had to do this when i first got my cherokee It is actually pretty easy. If you use rope(i used Weed wacker line) put it all around the gasket pop the window where it should be, you may have to do it with the hatch open if your doing it by yourself, or if you have a helper thats better. Take some water with some soap and put it on the gasket. then work the line until its on where it seats and you have a back window!

You mentioned hooking up the heater wires. You should find a factory window with wires installed. If there are "pull your part" junk yards around, head over and pull your own window, a couple of screwdrivers under the rubber will do the job, just take your time. Find a wired window, check for pulled or broken wires before you start.
It's much easier to install the window if you pull the inside hatch cover first and it needs to come off to get to the heater wire connectors.

Good luck. I've changed out several hatch windows and haven't broken one yet, but I do have a spare in the garage.

I have a rear hatch glass with defrost and seal still on it. I can ship if you still need one. Install is not difficult if you and a friend would want to try it.

Back