• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Universal Coolant question.

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I just flushed my cooling system this weekend and replaced the stock plastic tank turd called a radiator that was stock w/a new 3 core all metal CSF and Mopar thermostat. I ended up using some good ol Walmart Supertech Antifreeze(100%)and mixed it at home. It states that it's universal and can be used with any type of coolant. It is yellowish in color. I'm wondering if it's ok to run this as it's not listed if it's HOAT(Hybrid Organic Antifreeze Technology) anywhere on the bottle. Or should I switch it out for the green stuff?

TIA,

Sean

Hallo. Don't use tap water, it contains minerals. Use distilled water.
I buy always premix 50/50 and is very easy. Sometimes it's green or blue. It contains both 1.2 ethanediol (glycol). Poison!

'92 XJ

Last edited:
You can use the Supertech from Walmart. Just mix it 50/50 and pour it in.

The color means that you don't mix it with green - ever - and that you have a dedicated system. If you have to use green with it, flush and start over.

Green is the older antifreeze, toxic to animals, and not real friendly to aluminum blocks. The newer red, yellow, orange or whatever is a slightly different antifreeze spec'ed for newer aluminum block engines. Using a "universal" is ok, especially when you have older and newer cars in the yard. There's much less chance of adding the wrong stuff to a newer vehicle and watching it all reputedly turn into a big lump of jelly.

Using a mineral free water source is nice, it does reduce calcium buildup, which takes years to affect your system. Buying straight antifreeze and mixing it is a LOT cheaper. Most premixed in America run a dollar less a gallon for 50% less antifreeze, so all told, you could spend $20 for two gallons mixed, or $10 for standard strength and get two gallons mixed.

Premixed is convenient but IMHO a huge ripoff.

Huh never thought I'd see blue coolant. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the reply Tirod on the supertech stuff. Just want to make sure it isn't harmful to my cooling system or engine.

Last edited:
Huh never thought I'd see blue coolant. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the reply Tirod on the supertech stuff. Just want to make sure it isn't harmful to my cooling system or engine.

Yes It is a cool colour. There is also a red one, but that's a G12.
It is new from Volkswagen/Audi. (Texaco). You can't use them in old engines, because of the very cleaning agents.
Btw. there are in Holland 2 kinds of Glycol they are using:MEG Ethylene and MPG propylene. But mostly it is the MEG, so it is very poisoning.
I found also a blue windshieldwasher fluid, very dangerous. :cool:

Last edited:
Back