• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanks Danny and Johnny!!

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I really appreciate you guys driving all the way out from the OC up to Forest Falls and helping me put the engine back together. I had a great time getting to know you guys and working on the Jeep. Heres a couple pics of you guys in action. Johnny is torquing the head bolts to spec with Danny's "vibrating stick". I wasn't sure if that belonged in a tool bag or his girlfriends nightstand, but it did the trick. Danny is checking the old head for cracks. We didn't see any visible cracks, so I am hopeful that they are just small and that it's not a cracked block or cylinder wall. I figured with the amount of coolant in my oil something major has a crack in it. Once again, you guys were awesome and I really appreciate all the time and skill you donated today.

Johnny.jpg

Danny.jpg

sweet man, hope thats what it was!! Good luck!

I forgot to give Scott a thankyou for some good tips and advice on the work we did. I appreciate the torque numbers. You were spot on with those numbers. The manual that Johnny brought had the same specs. Thanks again.

No problem Brad. It was nice to meet you and the wife. I was glad you had a nice warm garage, what with all that white stuff on the ground outside. Tell Amber thanks for the sammich and brownies. And let us know how the Jeep runs this week.

I am going to drive it a little each day and keep an eye on the coolant level. On Saturday I plan to drain the oil and coolant and if everything checks out okay, then I will put new fluids in and drive it like a mad man. I will keep you, Danny and Scott posted on the outcome.

Last edited:
You are welcome. I will see you next time I am up there.

So how is it running? Forgot to tell you I saw a Search and Rescue team air lifting a hiker from the mountains as I was leaving your place. Guess your neighbor probably had to go to work.

So how is it running? Forgot to tell you I saw a Search and Rescue team air lifting a hiker from the mountains as I was leaving your place. Guess your neighbor probably had to go to work.

So far it is running great and hasn't sucked up a drop of coolant, but I also have only been driving it around town and havn't taken it up and down the moutain yet. I plan on doing that either Thursday or Friday. That will be the big test. If it doesnt' suck up any coolant going up and down 38 then it should be good to go. By the way, I also need to give some props to Justin (luvdlions). He came up Saturday and helped me tear the engine apart. It was definately a total effort from multiple people to get that engine torn down and back together. I have to be honest, I was a little hesitant that we missed something and it wouldn't start back up but I was thankfully wrong. Thanks again guys. There is no way I could have done all that work alone. The good news is that my mechanical skills have greatly improved from this ordeal. I know a lot more about my XJ now.

Last edited:
Did you fix that coolant overflow line yet, and that trans cooler line bracket?

Did you fix that coolant overflow line yet, and that trans cooler line bracket?
Yep. As soon as you guys left I got underneath and re-attached the cooler line. I also cut off about 2 inches of coolant line and just re-attached. It was much tigher and hasn't dripped since.

Back