• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping Intake Manifolds

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
My friend totaled his 2004 Wrangler... He's parting it out.
I want his intake manifold.
I had read intake manifolds from 99 to 2002 XJs swap directly in.
Will his 2004 Wrangler 4.0 intake manifold fit my 1996 XJ 4.0?
What concerns may I run into swapping manifolds?
I appreciate the advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will the throttle body on the 2004 work. I noticed the MAP sensor kinda looked different.

The MAP sensor is attached to the throttle body on the new ones, but all you would have to do is remove it and run a vacuum like to yours attached on the firewall. Or extend your harness. Or just use your throttle body.

The MAP sensor is attached to the throttle body on the new ones, but all you would have to do is remove it and run a vacuum like to yours attached on the firewall. Or extend your harness. Or just use your throttle body.

The MAP sensor on a 96 isn't on the firewall. It's on the TB. Should be able to swap them. JIM.

Thank you both so much.
My 96 XJ MAP sensor is on the throttle body. It just looks different.
If I am correct...
I can swap the 04 intake with the fuel rail, injectors, throttle body and just add a few inches of wire and vacuum line and change out the MAP sensor.

That is great! Thank you.

I didn't do any thing to the MAP wiring when I did mine. Did have to extend some vac. lines though. JIM.

I would love to attach 2 photos; one of the 2004 manifold and one of the 96 manifold.

Would anyone, could anyone tell me where to run the vacuum hoses on the 96 onto the a swapped 2004 intake manifold ?

I read Gojeeps write up and I think because it looks like an earlier XJ than mine... I am a bit confused.

Thank you.

I have the 2004 Intake Manifold with everything on it.

I'm going to install the 62mm TB and TB Spacer before I put it on my XJ.

This is my DD so down time needs to be minimal.

Does anyone have photos of their Intake Manifold swap on a 96 to 98 XJ showing vacuum lines they could point me to on the net?

Thank you.

dscn0115.jpg

dscn0116.jpg

Mine's a 96 and it is a straightforward swap--don't overthink it. Lets see on the top of the manifold starting by the firewall from right to left:
rear valve cover line, IAT, and MAP(you'll probably cap the left one as you have the 96tb with the map fitting--mine is a bored 94 tb).
On the side of the manifold are three fittings: One for the purge solenoid, middle one for the brake booster, and the other one for some HVAC line that goes in the firewall by the evap cannister.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...f5a5f5ae42e779d4b5655493f6171509c5b2ec019b86#

what about the power steering pump? I have read that it bolts up differently

96 is the year they change p/s pump and bracket. So for a 96 all you need is the intake itself.

On my 95 I still have the original pump with the new bracket and tensioner. But it's kinda rigged and I am not happy with it. The only reason did it was because the 96+( might be 99+) have a plastic pulley that fell apart on me because it had a chip on the edge and I was in a pinch.

I am not sure but I think the Fuel Injectors are different on the 2004 Intake compared to the 96. I think the connectors may not fit.

I think I have to use my injectors off the 96 Intake.

Am I correct?
Thanks.

I am not sure but I think the Fuel Injectors are different on the 2004 Intake compared to the 96. I think the connectors may not fit.

Am I correct?
Thanks.

if thats the case then it wont be a big deal to swap the injectors. if you want to get fancy you can swap to LT1 injectors. they atomize the fuel better. just make sure the o-rings are in decent shape or just get new ones for cheap insurance. lube the o-rings a bit when you go to install them and theyll go in a lot easier.

Am I correct?
Thanks.

The injector connectors are different from the 96 compaired to the 04.

Id run your fuel rail and injectors for ease of installation.

Thanks everyone. I think I have it now.
If I have any trouble... I'll just post to this thread.
Thanks.

I'm at a stand still with my stroker/ late model intake swap. What drivebelt is everyone using on the pre-96 XJ? I have about 10 different belts and non of them fit.

Back