• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help XJ died tonight

tuxxj

NAXJA Member #368
I was just cruzing down the freeway after putting on new tires for Moab and step on the gas for an overpass and no more go. No sputters, caughs or anything. I coast to the side of the road. I tried to start it, but it just shudders and backfires once. Any Ideas on what or where to start. Its a 97 I6 with auto transmission.

tuxxj said:
I was just cruzing down the freeway after putting on new tires for Moab and step on the gas for an overpass and no more go. No sputters, caughs or anything. I coast to the side of the road. I tried to start it, but it just shudders and backfires once. Any Ideas on what or where to start. Its a 97 I6 with auto transmission.

Quite possibly a crankshaft position sensor. Look for a two-wire plug at the back of the engine near the valve cover. should go back to the bell housing. Unplug it and then plug it back in and try it. It might fire back up, just a bad connection.

Back