• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 crossmember holes busted

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
The ones on the tranny that allow you to thread a bolt in from underneath the crossmember - theres four of them, the front two have cracked for some reason while i was puttin the bolts back on. I may have gone to tight with them although it didnt feel like it at the time. Anyone else had this problem?? Also, how safe is it to drive around with just the 2 rear bolts secured to the transmission? :doh:

Well, I just bought an XJ that didn't have the tranny bolted to the crossmember at all, and it ran just fine! I certainly wouldn't suggest it though...

I'd worry about stressing the rearward two bolts. I'm not sure what you meant by cracked though? Is this something you could epoxy a stud in the damaged hole?

well the threaded hole in the tranny split and a chunk came off of it when i was tightening the bolt, and the other front one took a little damage when i was trying to drill/tap it. two rear holes remain but i was also thinking that they are more stressed now. Not sure if epoxy would do much good here? im open to anything at this point

I looked at the AX-15 I have in the garage after I got done plowing the snow. Yeah I can see how the sides of the holes can break out. Short of brazing in studs or welding and retapping holes, which would probably mean pulling the tranny apart, I'm not sure what other alternatives there are. There's not enough material elsewhere to tap new holes. I'd be inclined to clean really well, JB-weld in some studs and call it good.

considering i just got finsished ripping apart the tranny i would rather not have to do that, so ill give it a shot with the cold weld and see how it holds up.

Back