• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff. Identification and Gaskets

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Is there a way to determine what type axels I have on my 1996 XJ Classic? I have leaking differentials and want to replace the gaskets/oil, but want to be certain of the parts to order. Also, any suggestions on who I should get the gaskets from? Who makes the best ones? Thanks for the help.

Nick said:
Also, any suggestions on who I should get the gaskets from? Who makes the best ones? Thanks for the help.

Blue RTV

You have two rear axle possibilities. A Dana 35 which will be likely if you have ABS. It is kinda oval shaped. Or a Chrysler 8.25 if you do not have ABS. This one has a definate flat spot on the bottom of the diff.

Front is a Dana 30

Just about any auto parts store will stock a cork gasket for the differential cover but I personallly think blue rtv has a less likely chance of leaking if applied properly and allowed to set up a bit before torqueing down the cover.

Fel Pro gaskets Dana 30---RDS55019
8.25Chry---RDS55047
Black or Blue RTV your choice,but get one that is oil resistsnt
Wayne

Waynes got ya covered on the part numbers and they can be picked up at AutoZone (at least in the Hbg, PA area) for <$4 each.

Just replaced the lube in both axles of my XJ last weekend and using the gaskets makes it a very simple job. As long as the cover and diff housing surfaces are in good shape, you should have no problem with the gaskets leaking. Just stick to the torque specs and tighten the bolts down incrementally. When you go to replace the lube next time, you'll be happy you went with the gaskets and not RTV. Scrapping off the RTV makes the job at least 2 or 3 times longer.

Back