• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free spin hubs. Mile Marker or Warn

Those don't use unit bearings. They replace the unit bearing with a spindle and bearings that are serviceable. In the picture they are just already assembled. I seem to remember seeing those cheaper somewhere else online. Perhaps summit will price match do a price match. Does anybody know if the MM hub kit comes with a warranty?

GO with Warn. They come with chromoly outers. I dont believe the MM does. I have had my Warn 5x4.5 hub kit since 2001 and they have held up to 35" tires and a locker with no problems.

GO with Warn. They come with chromoly outers. I dont believe the MM does. I have had my Warn 5x4.5 hub kit since 2001 and they have held up to 35" tires and a locker with no problems.

I've noticed recently that retailers of the warn kit have suddenly added the disclaimer ' not reccomended for tires larger than 32" ' I wonder why they've decided to include that since the hubs are undoubtubly stronger than stock unit trash.

I've noticed recently that retailers of the warn kit have suddenly added the disclaimer ' not reccomended for tires larger than 32" ' I wonder why they've decided to include that since the hubs are undoubtubly stronger than stock unit trash.

That's because they don't use a premium hub with the small bolt pattern (5x4.5) hub conversion. That one has had the disclaimer for years. If you make the upgrade worthwhile and do the 5x5.5" conversion, you get a premium hub and no tire size restriction because that hub is bigger. You could always do it better than that and go with Reid knuckles and upgrade the ENTIRE outer.

The disclaimer about 32" tires is only for warranty reasons . They aren't responsible if you are bouncing 35's in the rocks.But.... Like said before, mine are doing fine with detroit and 35's

the real question is. why spend 800 dollars on a dana 30 when you can spend the same money and have a dana 44 made and they come with manual hubs + lot stronger ?

Because the factory ball bearing unit bearings are indeed...trash. :dunce:

Tapered roller > pressed ball in any thrust load application. Jeeps use of ball bearings in a wheel bearing application was lets just say... retarded.
I thought you were talking about people breaking them on the trail. I like mine. :shhh:

the real question is. why spend 800 dollars on a dana 30 when you can spend the same money and have a dana 44 made and they come with manual hubs + lot stronger ?
Find me a place that will build me a 44 for $800 that comes with hubs. :looney:

There may be a problem coming up with the warn stuff. Randy's ring and Pinion now own the warn hub/hub conversion line/business soooo not so sure the quality will still be there of the warn units (I have the warn unit's with the small joint)

Although $800 won't get you a complete 44, I do agree that throwing that kind of money into a 30 is a waste. Your better off beating the hell out of the 30, while you save more to build a 44.

If it were me I'd find an early rubicon 44, and do the reid knuckle conversion along with other small upgrades. No width modifications neccesary, yet you'll end up with an economical bullet proof front end. It's on my to-do list... eventualy. Just add up the $ you've thrown into your 30, or are going to throw into it and you might be surprised.

Although $800 won't get you a complete 44, I do agree that throwing that kind of money into a 30 is a waste. Your better off beating the hell out of the 30, while you save more to build a 44.

If it were me I'd find an early rubicon 44, and do the reid knuckle conversion along with other small upgrades. No width modifications neccesary, yet you'll end up with an economical bullet proof front end. It's on my to-do list... eventualy. Just add up the $ you've thrown into your 30, or are going to throw into it and you might be surprised.

I like the 44 idea. What years are you talking about with the rubicon 44?
How difficult to get it to fit our XJ's?

Better yet, I'll sell you my D44 from a South American XJ - same as the early Rubi D44, but high pinion instead of low.

Comes with a 30 spline carrier, geared to 4.10 - sorry, don't have shafts or outer knuckles, but I'll include WJ knuckles and brake calipers if you want....

The EMS kit uses 19 spline axles but otherwise is exellent.
Here is a picture of the EMS off road hub conversion that works on dana 30's and Rubicon 44's. 30 spline premium warn hubs and 4 on 4.5 BP

jeephubcon06.jpg

x2 on the Reid knuckles. I have the warn 5x5.5 on my TJ running 33's and lockers through the Rubicon, Fordyce, etc with no problems. But if I was to do it again I'd get the Reid knuckles and then hit a pick-n-pull for the rest of the dana 44 parts for cheap. Cool part about the Reids is that you can pick from several bolt patterns depending on you 44 donor, all that way up to 8 lug.

I've been happy with the 5x5.5 and simply used an adapter on m rear axle (8.8) to match em up.

i been looking around. i found a few people who used stock d44 outer knuckle on some cj d30 inners. has any one used a stock type d44 outer on a stock xj inner?

Back