• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving to san diego mid july for few months

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
I know its a while from now but I will be moving to the san diego area in july. I am in the navy and I am going to a school that will keep me there till feb 2010. I am actually from oceanside. Went to el camino high. Been in wa since 2002 though. Hate the weather up here. Like the people like the prices.

Some off road background.
In 2006 I got a toyota tacoma brand new but 2wds. Hit up some trails and relized this 2wd bussines wasn't working.

So I got a 95yj. I had 4 inch lift and 33s. Other wise stock. I got hooked.
Well do to going through a divorce and paying child support. I needed cash so I sold the yj.

Then about a year ago, I was visiting cali. My sister got my dad an xj cause he needed a car. She told me it cost her 700. So I started looking and relized damn these things are cheap.

Then on the same trip I visited a good friend of mine. Sennen chow. CHOW on here.
I saw his xj and was thinking these things have potential.

So I got back to WA and started looking. Got an 84 2 door. Hated the 2.8l. I trimmed the fenders. And put on 32x11.5 bfg at. I had a lifdt but didn't install. But like I said hated the 2.8L.

So I sold it with lift tires and all other little pieces I picked up.

Then I got a 90. With the 4.0L

So far stock. Except for intake and painting roof with spray on bed liner. Pics are in the link in my signature.

Will probably be stock till I get there. Then the modding will begin.

I will be living with family. My immediate family will be in WA.

So with the extra cash I will get for living in cali plus no rent for me. Then maybe a 2nd job.

My plans are 4 to 6 inch lift. 31 to 33inch tires.

Eventually d44 in rear or 8.8.

D44 in front woulds be nice but the d30 should hold for awhile.

Would like an interior roll cage. Possibly some exocaging.

My list can go on and on

Last edited:
Welcome in advance.

With 4 inches and a little trimming 33's will fit very nice, don't go too high or you run the risk of rolling too easily. Don't worry about the D30, get some forged shafts and gears and that baby will hold 33's all day long. If you're looking for a cage, check with Mr Overkill....he is down there and does nice work for a fee.

Sounds like a good place to start.

See you soon! We have gatherings during the week once to twice a month for pizza and brew. First Tuesday of the month in Vista for sure (which you might remember is next to Oceanside).

Thanks for the advice. I don't really want to go to high. Thinking 3 inch spring lift up front. With ACOS bump stops. Should bring front up to 4 to4.5 with possibility of going higher. Then in rear eithier a 4 or 4.5 inch spring lift. Or a 3 to 4 inch spring lift with 1 inch shackles. I plan doing lots of trimming. Will need a welder because I want to go above the pinch seam in ther rear possibly a little tubbing.
Yes I know vista. Carlsbad esco san marcos del mar etc etc etc. My school will be in point loma.

I will be looking foward to the trails. When I was there I use to play around in the dunes of borrego springs with my dads friends. But never did I have my own vehicle nor was I driving.

Here in WA with have really tight trails with a mixture of rocks and mud. Not much sand unless you go to the east side of wa. So lots of slow and steady wheeling which I have grown to like.

Back