• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle strange grinding noise than, bang, all better....

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So,
This is on my 90XJ, with a 4.0, AW4 with a 231 and disconnect axle.
I have shimed the axle fork on the passenger side, so that the axle stays connected for 4wd.
But recently, I have been getting a strange, grating/grinding sound which sounds like it is coming from my DRIVERS side front wheel. I sounds like a rock stock between the rotor and the shield, but then as it grinds, it goes "pop" and all back to normal. If I stick it in 4wd, it seem to go away. I have never heard it in 4wd.

I did replace the u-joints on both sides about two years ago. I have heard the sound a few times over the last couple of years, and I have always pulled over. This past week, it has happened a few more time, so I am starting to get concerned. Does the drivers side axle lock into place some how? Anything that I should start to check for? Could this be the transfer case or drive shaft?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Bob

Back