• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Typical price of a used 8.8?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
What do people out here usually pay a junkyard for an 8.8? Guy out here (B&B) wants $350 complete brake to brake. It's out of a 98 Explorer. Brakes don't look reusable, lots of surface rust. He always seems to be priced really high on everything.

Pick Your Part would be $149.99 for the axle, $15 for the core charge, $10 for the "environmental fee", plus tax and a couple of other BS fees. For a total of $193. I just saw a complete one in the yard while I was pulling a D44.

Next weekend is half-price weekend though.

I paid $400 for mine, with XJ brackets already on it, tubes welded, and shock mounts relocated.

What do people out here usually pay a junkyard for an 8.8? Guy out here (B&B) wants $350 complete brake to brake. It's out of a 98 Explorer. Brakes don't look reusable, lots of surface rust. He always seems to be priced really high on everything.

$250-$300 is the usual in good shape if it is setup with brackets for a xj $400

Not to change the subject but...
What are the advantages over a 44?
And would it hold up better for my son's Jeepspeed build?
good 8.8's came with disc brakes so you don't have to modify that, and from what i understand they don't have a carrier brake but i could be wrong. I have a 44 going into the current project and plan on a 8.8 for the next jeep I build

Not to change the subject but...
What are the advantages over a 44?
And would it hold up better for my son's Jeepspeed build?

Well the shafts are 31 spline just like the 9", maybe a tad beefier than the D44. Make sure you weld the tubes to the pumpkin because they have a tendency to rotate. It is narrower than the stock XJ housing, but 1" spacers take care of that. Its a great option since most have disc brakes (explorer), and parts are everywhere..

I saw a couple at the pick n pull in vistorville last weekend, One was even already pulled sitting on the ground.

Back