• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring LED taillights via converter

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
So with the help from "hammered's" write-up (http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=980571&highlight=buy+LEDs%3Fon) on installing LED taillights, I got the right converter box to convert the factory taillights to the S/T/T LED ones.

The problem im having now is, I cant figure out how to wire up this box. I only bought 1 box, so I know I have to run wires from the pass side to the drivers side, my question is which wires? From Hammered's write-up, there is a green wire for the "right" turn signal, so I know I have to run at least the green wire over to the other side of the jeep. Do I have to run the power/ground/taillight wires/etc. to the other side as well? To me, I would assume that I have to run everything for both sides through the converter box....but then again, electrical wiring isnt exactly my fortitude.

I remember someone posting up directions on how to do this awhile ago, but after a couple hours of searching I cant for the life of me find the post about it.
Thanks in advance guys. I know this might now make a whole lot of sense, but im hoping someone whos done this before knows what im talking about. If not, let me know and ill try and clarify it some more :cheers:

Last edited:
For input to the convertor box, the wires only from one side will work fine, except for the turn signal from the other side. Run a wire from the opposite side turn siganl to the box. Running, stop, and backup are common to both sides. For the box output, run the stop and turn signal wires. The running lights don't need to go through the box, just leave them alone. Ground is ground. The convertor box just needs to be grounded to the body.

So from the picture below (again from hammered's write-up), All I need to do is run the green wire going into the converter over to the passenger side wire for the turn signal, then the green wire on the output side of the converter to the LED light itself? I can use the power/ground from the passanger side of the jeep for the light itself? If im thinking correctly, I'll have 2 grounds then (1 for the brake light and 1 for the turn signal) on the passanger side. Should I just connect both grounds into the single ground on the new LED light? I guess all in all, ill only have 2 wires running across to the other side, just the green turn signal wires, correct?

P1105069.jpg

Sorry again for all the questions, im just trying to eliminate any problems now before I start cutting wires, etc.

Thanks again for your help!

I believe that you have it correct. Hopefully it will blink at the right rate. You may have to add resistors if it blinks way too fast. Are you mounting these new LEDs into home made boxes or what?

I believe that you have it correct. Hopefully it will blink at the right rate. You may have to add resistors if it blinks way too fast. Are you mounting these new LEDs into home made boxes or what?

Cool...thanks for your help! I can do basic electrical work, but for some reason this stuff was driving me crazy!

IIRC, you can fix the 'fast blinker' by swapping in an electronic flasher to replace the thermal kind thats already in there.

Yes, ill be mounting these in home made boxes. I'll try and maybe do a little write-up on these if everything goes as planned.

Back