• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just completely destroyed my Transfer Case, what are my options?

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today started off good, then I heard this "clicking" in my front end/center/drivetrain. Its getting progressively louder as I head towards home. I stopped, looked underneath the truck, but didnt see anything obvious. I figured I would limp it home and throw it on the jackstands to see what it was. I get about 300 feet from my driveway and all heck breaks loose.

My front Tom Woods driveshaft bolts backed all the way out of the yoke (the last two sheared), and the shaft flopped around until it broke my transfer case housing as I was trying to stop, spilling its contents all over the street. I made a makeshift sling to hold the driveshaft so I could drive the remaining 300 feet, and parked her in front of the garage.

I am pretty sure the shaft is still ok, but I will have it checked out. My transfer case on the other hand is toast.

I have a 96 Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP231, with an Advanced Adapters SYE on it, and front and rear Woods shafts.

I can replace the damaged parts easy enough, but typically when something breaks on my heep, I like to replace it with somehting better than before.

What are my options? I would love to have a nice Atlas bolted to it, but dont think that is feesible, or needed for the cost involved. I dont mind spending a little money, but thats a bit much and finding a used one is impossible.

The Woods shafts, and SYE are all pretty new, less than 6 months old, and only have about 3000 miles on them. I would LIKE to still be able to use atleast the shafts with what ever I go with.

This is not my DD, so I have a little time.

Would you just replace it with another NP231 or what? Maybe a Rubi Tarnsfer case? Not sure what all is involved in that swap, or if I can reuse my shafts.

Just looking for opinions. Thanks, James

I think you already know your options!! If you can afford it get an Atlas, if not buy a used 231 and put a 4 to 1 in it! The Rubicon 241 is about what you would pay for an Atlas......... I would choose the Atlas!! :smoker:

So thats pretty much it huh?

The Rubi transfer cases are that much?? New or used?

I have two uncles that own two different salvage yards, wonder what the chances of having a crashed up rubi in either of them is?

~James

I have access to NP231's, thats not a problem. Just wondering if there is anything better while im at it.

At this point it looks like I am either going to spend a hundred bucks and some time for a stock replacement, or 2k+ for an Atlas and the same amount of time.

Unless I can get my hands on a Rubi TCase for cheap...

Thanks, ~James

Yeah, they have a "teletype" service,(or at least thats what it used to be called) that is hooked to most of the other yards. I think I will put them on the search first thing monday morning. My mother also works there as a bookkeeper, so it should be fairly easy.

Anyone know how much a rubi transfer case weighs? I need to get the damn thing shipped here...

I guess I need to spend the weekend doing research about what all is involved in dong the swap. I know I have a 23 spline input, so that should make things a little easier?

My main concern is using my Woods driveshafts...dont Rubis have bolt on flanges for the rear?

~James

Anyone know how much a rubi transfer case weighs? I need to get the damn thing shipped here...

My main concern is using my Woods driveshafts...dont Rubis have bolt on flanges for the rear?

~James
They are about 95 lbs and came with flanges and yokes.

dude, that sucks. I guess you are gonna have to rent a trackhoe for sure at Boser Wolf Off road. I was just at this german dudes house today who had a NP231 sitting in his house, just throw another 231 in that hoss and run the piss out of it.

P.S. I got my tires on friday.

Looks like I may have to do that Eric. I need to at least get this thing street worthy again before I can ship it back to the states.

Send me an email with the info on that 231, is it out of an XJ or what? He selling it?

If the 241OR weighs 95 pounds, I will have to wait till I get home to tackle this project. Shipping would be rediculous since I cant use USPS. To bad they have a 70 pound limit...

How do the tires look??

~James

You'd have the same problem with a 231, they're over 70 lbs. as well.

a rubi 4-1 is no where near the price of a atlas.

you can pretty easily find 4:1s for about 800 bucks. atlases are are 2200.

the rubi t-cases bolt up, but i would check into the yoke sizes. i think that they run the same size u-joint also

Nevermind, the 231 that guy has is already sold, sorry man. but that dude that was selling one in the paper might still have it. I think I have his e-mail. I think he wanted $200 for an AW4 and 231.

The tires are awesome, one had a slight blem on the bead so the tire place swapped it out for another. Now I need my lift to get here.

Nevermind, the 231 that guy has is already sold, sorry man. but that dude that was selling one in the paper might still have it. I think I have his e-mail. I think he wanted $200 for an AW4 and 231.

The tires are awesome, one had a slight blem on the bead so the tire place swapped it out for another. Now I need my lift to get here.

Yeah, I just got back from a 780 kilometer 8 hour round trip to Hohenfels to pick up his AW4 and "231"....except the "231" was actually a 242. I am a little upset to say the least. But, he gave me the package for 150 bucks, so atleast I have a spare tranny now. Anybody need a NP242?

Still on the search for a 231.

Unless I am WAY stronger than I think I am, that 242 didnt weigh 90 pounds. I think it may be closer to 60-70 as it was easy to put in the trunk of my car. I wll have to throw it on the scales tonight. I may just get that 241OR afterall.

Either way, I will figure something out. I'll be damned if I am paying 300-500 euros for a 231 from these German guys that Chuck was talking to, thats insane.

Glad you got the tires, I think you should break out the sawzall, do a crap load of cutting, and mount them up with the stock suspension. Lift kits are over rated...LOL.

~James

PS, bxj, I have no idea what a sTaK Mini-Monster is, but I will look into it...

I think you may be right bro, If the lift doesn't make it before Boser Wolf I have another set of fenders that are getting a SAWZALL massage. 3,4 April are the dates. Haven't got any feedback as to who or when anyone is interested in going so 3,4 April it is. Too bad you are leaving but lucky you.

Back