• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 w/ bad engine- What's it worth?

jth877

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at a 2001 sport with 80k. The engine "skips" according to the owner and the shop he took it to says it needs a new engine. I'm considering it a rolling chassis and I would have to replace the engine. I'm willing to do that on my time. So I guess there's two questions: 1) value of the XJ with bad engine and 2) price on a JY engine in your area. I have been seeing about $600 for engines with ~80k on them.

The guy has it listed for $2800, I think that's extremely steep considering.

That seems pretty steep to me too. I bought my 97 with a blown 4.0 for $700.00. It is rust free and had a ton of stuff on it too (roof rack, light bar, 6 KC lights, 3" Skyjacker lift, new 32/11.50/15's, and a safari grill guard.

I bought a 90k engine for 400 and put new bearings, seals, freeze plugs, oil pump, etc in it. I also put JK Rubicon shocks on it. I am currently sitting at around 1400.00 in it and have been driving the heck out of it :)

When i got it...
100_1540.jpg

Changing out engines....
100_1851-1.jpg

And how it sits now....
100_1919.jpg

John

$2800 might be reasonable. KBB shows a fair condition2001 4wd auto with 80k miles at $4000. "Skipping" is pretty vague. Could be anything from a hole in a piston, cracked head, to a bad spark plug. Have you had a chance to listen to it? Would he let you bring a compression testor?

WAY too much for one with a blown engine. If its a big job to fix, its still too much, but if its an easy fix it might be priced right. how is the rest of the jeep? I just got a pristine 01' limited for exactly 1/2 that much with a bad trans.

If the rest of the Jeep is in very good condition then $1500 tops!!

Thanks guys! OBO on the add, He's only 2 miles down the road, so I might offer $1000 and see if he bites. I haven't seen the thing yet.

LOL, I don't think this guy is very mechanical! Engine skipping can be anything....

I got my 2000 for $3k, but the going price around here for a good one is $4k - $4.5. Many years ago, I bought a Mercury wagon for scrap prices that the dealership had told the owner needed a new motor. One can of liquid wrench in the oil freed up the hydraulic lifters and I drove it for 100,000 miles more. Engine skipping is not any kind of professional diagnosis. For pricing though. if KBB is $4,000, (my guess is) having a rebuilt motor put in is $2000, the vehicle is worth $2000.

Jasper reman, installed, $3,000 with warranty.

Back