• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swaps

The only "easy" axle swaps are the various hi- and low-pinion D-30 and the TJ D-44. everything else you have to weld on brackets or do a custom suspension.

I don't think so. The Wagoneer D-44s are pretty close in width(within an inch or so), but set up for leaf springs. The early bronco axle(also a D-44) is a little wider, and probably harder to set up then the Jeep axle due to the "C" brackets on the tubes. Everything else is wider by several inches.
What did you have in mind? The next step up from the D-44 is a -60(which is full width, or custom build) . Were you looking for more strength then the -44?

well i would do a 44 swap but people say do a TJ 44 but its a rubicon 44 right with 30 tubes and 44 center thats not much stronger i would want some kinda hp 44 that i could fix up with coil springs. I just don't want to do full width because i just did my 8.8 swap.

What tire size do you plan on running?

Why did you do the 8.8 swap? Replacing a -35, disc brake upgrade, or broke it wheeling hard?
Are you trying to avoid spending money on the -30 (to match the 8.8 gearing, for example) when you think you'll have to change it later?

'Tires up to 33", you can keep the -30, and it'll live.

I swapped out my 27 spline 8.25 for a 95 8.8 I regeared both axles to 4.88. I am installing a yukon 4340 chromoly axle shaft kit and 4340 chromoly super joints. All i wanna run is 35s at the max. I want my 30 to hold up i know the 8.8 will be ok but I dont wanna break everytime i need to get a little rough on it but it don't happen much. Also has a Aussie locker in front. I was hoping the yukon kit and joints would do good enough for 35s and has a solid diff cover and axles truss?

I beat the piss out of my LP30 and have broken nothing yet!! I am polishing a HP30 which will be more than enough for me!! How you wheel is more important than what you wheel!! Some people here go OVERKILL because they never learned how to wheel the right way and bust their shit all the time!! :cool:

Do you run 35s on your Cherokee. If I ever did full width axles what axle could I use in the front to keep coil springs. But I will never go over 35s so d30 chromoly and 8.8 should be fine right

Back