• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just starting out...

chaywood

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Just joined the forum today! I'm starting to gain interest in beefin up my jeep a little more. I got last summer, first car, and used all my money. '97 Cherokee Sport. I'm not too familiar with all the terms and specifics of four-wheeling but I'm eager to get really involved and knowledgable. I've only gone up once with my dad and got hooked.

Here's a picture of my current set up...

The back looks a little settled on the incline.

Bought it with a 3" lift in front and 31" Hercules tires? never heard of them lol. My dad found some rear leafs i could afford at the time to raise the back equal 3".

I don't have money or a job yet, but this summer i wanna put some more into my jeep to make it more trail ready? what should i buy next? do i need much more? any good info for a newb starting out? (my bro had a crazy '96 cherokee with a 6" lift etc... so I'm a little in tune with whats up)

p.s. is it safe to have my plates in the picture?

You're fine with your plates in the picture, at least I'd think so. Then again, I'm also trusting to the point of stupidity. Which reminds me - I should close my garage door now...

In any case. You say you don't have a job or money.
I would advise you to correct both of those things before considering the Jeep a hobby car. You'll spend enough keeping an 11 year old car on the road - much less on the trail.
If you can, though - beg borrow or steal for a pair of JKS quick disconnects. They'll let you loosen up the front end a lot for trail stuff without compromising reliability or daily driving manners.

You can stay at that height for now and upgrade things as you go. 3" & 31's are quite capable. Add some skids and protection (transfer case, rockers, gas tank). You could throw and aussie locker (or two) in there now. You could also cut some fender, bumstop and throw some bigger tires in there too.

Search around a little bit and make a game plan. Post it up and people will comment on it.

Money is important!, three years and about $7g's later I finally have something i'm happy with! and it all started with a $200 beater with no motor

good stuff so far. thanks guys. I know the money is definatly an issue, but i posted up to get some ideas of where to go when i get some this summer.

This is all you need:
6b0029701b170e74f17d3badebc448a3.jpg

nice cherokee! welcome to the forum. i'm sorry to hear that you're hooked on this suck-your-wallet-dry sport. :eek:

i am a big proponent of armor. i think differential protection should always be one of the first upgrades for anyone who is ready to start some serious wheeling. i highly recommend this one: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/dana-30-38-one-piece-diff-cover-p-151.html dan's customer service can't be beat.

me and my ruffstuff diff covers have beat the living snot out of quite a few unsuspecting rocks. :roflmao:

Good looking rig! Read the FAQ Forum to pick up on the lingo, and don't let it get you down if somebody calls you a noob,...

Good start for a daily driver/trail rig. Armor's a good idea, but first, get a set of tow points on the front and a trailer hitch(to use as a rear tow point)

My mod list goes something like:
f +r tow points
Factory armor(from a junk yard)
rocker armor
diffs/gears
lift/tires
then start cutting stuff off and blowing real money:D

Edit: I forgot to add: Really expensive shocks:D

Last edited:
Get all flex you can get out of that 3" lift and have fun with it. sway bar disco the front. rear 1" lift shackle if you dont have one already and maybe a shackle relocation bracket. maybe a zj tie rod from the bone yard. T/c skid even if it's a factory one from the bone yard. some rock rails and have a bunch of fun with it where it's at, until you can afford a little taller lift. free the suspension up and you will be pleasently suprised, where it will take you.

Looks good so far. I say proper driving is the best protection. Get together with a local 4x4 group and learn. You will be dissapointed with those tires shortly and since your allready at 31's invest in a mud terrain like bfg's or even cheapo dunlop mud terrain's. What ever is in your budget. YOU WILL SPEND MONEY! IT NEVER ENDS! THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING!
But you will have a ton of fun and that's what life's about!party1:

My mod list goes something like:
f +r tow points
Factory armor(from a junk yard)
rocker armor
expensive shocks (a quote from the above post)

I have been wheeling for many years. I will not stop even if it means tying the XJ to my waist and dragging it behind me.

Where you are starting from is where I am at (check my sig). Some trails I go around and watch the big boys go at it. Tow points and some armour are a must. Where you go later is limited only by your desire and the size of your wallet.

Get out, wheel, have fun. Later you move up another notch if you want to.

Oh, Did I say welcome? party1: :cheers:

nice cherokee! welcome to the forum. i'm sorry to hear that you're hooked on this suck-your-wallet-dry sport. :eek:

i am a big proponent of armor. i think differential protection should always be one of the first upgrades for anyone who is ready to start some serious wheeling. i highly recommend this one: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/dana-30-38-one-piece-diff-cover-p-151.html dan's customer service can't be beat.

me and my ruffstuff diff covers have beat the living snot out of quite a few unsuspecting rocks. :roflmao:

LOL.....:worship: Welcome!! I am into mine about 7 grand(parts)!! Yes, these things will bleed you dry BUT it is ssssooooo much fun!!! Stay within your budget first off!! Get a budget lift and a rocker protection first. Then move on to diff covers and skidplates! Enjoy the sport a bit, save some cash for a real suspension system and lockers!! :cheers:

Armor's a good idea, but first, get a set of tow points on the front and a trailer hitch(to use as a rear tow point)

^ what he said ^

when i suggested armor as a start, i was taking the tow points as a given. after reading tbburg's post, i looked at the chaywood's pics and noticed no tow points. of course that is the most important thing to do next.

Last edited:
Back