• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove/disable ABS?

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend with the help of xxxj-va, I finally managed to get some work done on my '95. We installed a fuel tank skid, Rusty's crossmember, and JKS quicker disconnects. We also removed the rear sway bar and replaced the tailgate lift pistons. We had to fabricate a piece for the fuel tank skid install as we broke one of the threaded rods that the fuel tank straps are connected to. XXXJ-VA broke out the welding machine and bended a piece of threaded rod and bingo, we were golden. Not a bad piece of work, but I digress.....

I had the stainless steel brake line extensions just waiting for installation, but realized that even if we extended the lines, the cables for ABS system would be too short. Needless to say, we held off of the brake work.

What are my options? Can the cables be extended or should I remove the ABS completely? What is required for removing the ABS?

Thanks.

You should be able to just splice an extra length of wire into the ABS cables if you want to keep the system intact. I've repaired them on my '97 when a wire got pinched during some front suspension modifications.

I'm actually working on removing the system completely at this point, but I don't have any information to pass along yet.

Why would you want to remove the ABS system? Is it a problem off road? I've got ABS on mine, but I'm new to 4 wheeling, so I'm more than open to new ideas.

Thanks,
Robert

YellowXJ just helped me with my rear brake line setup.

If you notice where the ABS brake lines run down the fender on the inside they have a bent in them, what Travis (yellowxj) did was undo the bracket holding those brake lines on, bend the lines straight (by hand) and then drilled a hole and rebolted the bracket down, these EASILY gave me PLENTY of clearance to fully flex my near 6" lift and had no problem with the brake line.

Oh btw, after we did that, we installed the extended rear brake line....

Thanks for the input. I'll have to look at my set up a little closer. I only checked the rear ABS and brakelines the other day. If I can work it the same way, I'll definately give it a try.

How did you handle bleeding the system when you were finished?

My FSM says you need to have a scan tool of some sort, but also indacates that you more or less bleed the system twice by normal methods.

a pair of wire cutters work nicely! just cut them thats what i did!

stoney

the cables can jsut be unclipped, you will have PLENTY of room for flex with the cables unclipped on the axles ends....if you look at them...you'll see what I mean. The rear unclips, the front has the fat rubber parts the can be pulled out of the metal tabs.

Back