• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help and advice required

HotChiliRam

NAXJA Forum User
I´m asking for a little help and some advice because I want to make some changes in my XJ and I'm not sure on what to do.
Here's my Dilema:
As some of you might know I own a 1990 XJ with a 4.6L Stroker engine. Well, this summer I went to a trail ride to the Dunes and the Jeep did pretty well, but I couldn't climb a super heavy dune. After the ride, I start to think two solutions to add more power (Here´s were I need the advice of the Guru's) The solutions are:

1.- Do something else to my stroker engine (I don't want a Turbo, I would like to keep it aspirated), I could add some Headers, Cam, Rollers, Cat Back, a K&N FIPK, and some other things. I'm pretty sure that the total price of all the upgrades I can make to my engine would be pricey, and I'm not sure I could get a lot more out of my 6 banger.

2.- Replace my stroker with a Chevy 5.3L and a 4L60E tranny.

I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds more like a tire size/gearing issue,what are you running?

4,56's and 33's.
The problem that I see with NOS is that you can hurt your engine pretty bad if you don't use it carefully, and when you're trying to climb a dune you keep your feet to the floor till momentum ends.

NOS could be a choice.

You need low end power, in other words torque. Most engine mods increase power at higher RPM. To get low end power, you could try regearing to a higher numerical gear. The only way to really increase engine power is cubic inches or maybe in your case cubic centimeters. Put in a bigger motor. The Chevy 350 (5.7L) is the standard hot rod motor with the most cheapest parts.

The first thing, imho, is ask youself, how often am I going to go to the dunes and try to climb that "one" dune.I think that is important because your jeep with a 4.6 stroker is pretty awesome by it's self.
But if a V8 is on your radar screen I would suggest passing the 5.3 and go directly to the 5.7 for parts and power mod availability and more cube's to start with.
Me, I would keep my stroker and give up on the one dune in my life.

Sounds more like a tire size/gearing issue,what are you running?

X2

4.56 and 33's are a good combination....normally. However, heavy lugging (climbing sand dunes) may dictate an even lower gear ratio since most of the time you may not have the running distance to build speed. Re-geraing the axles or the transfer case will give you more grunt.

A big block V8 in place of the 4.0/4.7L would solve the problem for sure. Which route do you want to take?

I'm leaning toward the 5.3L, The numbers say that the 5.3L is a better (Newer) motor the 5.7L Vortec has 255 horses compared to the 290 horses of the 5.3 and the torque of the 5.7 is almost the same of the 5.3 (330 the 5.7 and 325 the 5.3) plus the 5.3 is lighter than the 5.7, it has aluminum heads compared to the steel ones in the 5.7.
Don't get me wrong, but my stroker is a great motor, it has a lot of torque, and almost enough power, but it couldn't make in that one part. I need to be able to keep my speed when climbing. Now I catch a decent speed in the bottom but once I hit the climb I need to lower my gears from 4th to 2nd in nothing. The engine can keep the RPM's hitting 4500 + in 2nd, but it can't in 3dr. or 4th. My goal is to start climbing in 4th and be able to keep 3rd in all the climb. I wheel in low.
I thought that someone would chime in and say that I can get 300+ horses out of my 4.6 with some mods. Apparently all I can do is get the 5.3 and get rid of my trusty 4.6.

Back