• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tricks to removing dana 30 carrier

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am making a attempt at pulling the carrier out of my vacuum disconnect dana 30 to put in new seal and one piece axle shaft. I am unable to remove the carrier even after prying and trying a trick a guy told me pinning the ring gear bolt between the housing and a socket. I dont have access to a case spreader and my local auto parts stores dont have them aswell. Is there any other tricks I can try or am In F'd and going to have to go to a shop to have it removed???
thanks

Feed a rag between the ring & pinion gears. Turn yoke with a large wrench. Carrier will come out, be ready for it. JIM.

You did pull the short inner shaft over far enough to free the carrier, right?

I just used a small pry bar on the carrier and it slid out easily.

get the pass side axle c clip out.
if it wont budge after that, get a ratcheting strap around the carrier.
attach the two end of the strap to a 3 or 4 or 5ft pry bar.
i use duct tape to keep the ends on there good,
use the bumper for leverage on the pry bar,
it will come out that way with some hard work
thats what i do when i pull junkyard carriers

Ya shafts were out entirely and axle is on jack stands not underneath a rig. I got it out with the rag technique, took a while and I chewed up the non thick rags but it did work. unfortunatly all the seals I have tried have been to big for the axle tubes and I dont want to hillbilly dremel them down so I am trying to find the right one. I measured it out and a national 471747 should work I hope.

Glad you got it out!

I was going to suggest a come-a-long to pull it with. I have had to do this on the trail and its not fun but it worked. Since your axle is out of the Jeep that wouldn't have worked anyway.

I have an '89 MJ with the vacuum disconnect on the passenger's side.

I have the driver’s side hub out and by using a pry bar that side of the carrier is sliding out. I have not removed the passenger’s side hub or touched the vacuum disconnect on that side of the axle.

Before I apply too much pressure to the passenger’s side of the carrier, does that side hub need to be removed?

I have an '89 MJ with the vacuum disconnect on the passenger's side.

I have the driver’s side hub out and by using a pry bar that side of the carrier is sliding out. I have not removed the passenger’s side hub or touched the vacuum disconnect on that side of the axle.

Before I apply too much pressure to the passenger’s side of the carrier, does that side hub need to be removed?

Pretty sure you have to remove the pass. side shafts. Both of them. JIM.

Pretty sure you have to remove the pass. side shafts. Both of them. JIM.

You only have to pull the outer shaft out about 4", then move the inner shaft out the same to free the carrier.

get the pass side axle c clip out.
if it wont budge after that, get a ratcheting strap around the carrier.
attach the two end of the strap to a 3 or 4 or 5ft pry bar.
i use duct tape to keep the ends on there good,
use the bumper for leverage on the pry bar,
it will come out that way with some hard work
thats what i do when i pull junkyard carriers

There are no C clips for the front Dana 30.

Back