• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running 34's with 3.07's

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
I just want to know how bad it's going to be?? I drive it everyday, but only about 10 miles a day....let me know..

any input would be appreciated..

FYI 91' 4.0l 231, manual...

I drove with 33s and 3.07s for a while and it absolutely sucked. I would not advise driving with 34s and 3.07s at all. Your gas mileage will all but deplete and your gonna be putting a lot of strain on components trying to turn those things.

You're going to lose at least 1 gear with 34s, 3.07s, and an AX15. Your clutch is going to be pretty unhappy with that combination. I drove my 94 with 31s and 3.07 gears for a few months and hated it.

Well I have 31's on my Jeep right now...and it seems to actually be pretty quick...I would think that it wouldn;'t be too bad at all...Im wondering if my jeep might be geared and someone just left the stock tag on it. Because I will tell you that with 31's it is a lot faster than my other auto 4.0l with 3.73's...:dunno:

any ideas as why it may seem like that??

The jeep NEVER gets highway driven....and I would only being driving around for a little bit until I get it geared..

The jeep NEVER gets highway driven....and I would only being driving around for a little bit until I get it geared..
Sounds like your just looking for a "Yes do it answer" vrs. everyones "no it will suck" answer...

Do what you want with it. But remember its not gonna perform well at all.

Its gonna be drivable but its gonna be slow and if you still have the D35 in the rear be careful with it.

my .02

Yeah, I have 3.07's, AX15 with 32" swampers (they are tall and HEAVY 32's) a full size spare stage 2 sliders and very heavy bumpers and other undercarriage armor on my '90 RENIX and let me tell you its terrible - I have been driving it daily for almost 2 years like this though - i'm regearing VERY soon and doing an 8.8 (going to the JY tomorrow) and aussies front and rear - I can't wait to have the power back and to be able to use 5th gear again - so...long story short - you can do it but its going to suck ASS

Im not looking for that at all...I was just curious as to what you all have to say about it..

Im just wondering why everyone says that it "sucks" so bad, but in my opinion it runs really good with the current 31's...

I guess it all boils down to an opinion thing...

seriously, I never realized how bad it was until I hydro'd my motor and had to swap it and didnt finish it up for about 2-3 months and was driving all my other vehicles - I got back in the '90 XJ and was like OMG this thing is such a slug - granted I swapped in a motor with 290k on the clock LOL

Yeah with 31s im sure it runs just fine... Now throw some 34s on it and its a different story.

Since everyones "opinion" was that its gonna be horrible and a strain on your components and lead to possible parts failure, im gonna suggest that you might what to heed those comments. :dunno:

Yeah with 31s im sure it runs just fine... Now throw some 34s on it and its a different story.

Since everyones "opinion" was that its gonna be horrible and a strain on your components and lead to possible parts failure, im gonna suggest that you might what to heed those comments. :dunno:

yeah, good point! PLUS the 31's are what ... 3" bigger than stock now you are going to DOUBLE that and go to 6" bigger - if its only temporary then go for it - its not going to be the end of the world but dont think you are going to want it like that for good

so next question, if the jeep is geared, what is the best way to figure it out??

thanks for your input..:eeks1:

k i kinda got the same issue here i got a 89 cherokee automatic and the motor all perfromanced out brand new motor with brand new 33X13.50r15 super swampers i did have 31's but i went bigger last month and its been slow off the line i use to be able to lite them up down the road now i can barely get them to spin a bit sooooo what would be the best gear ratio in the axles the front and rear axles have lock right lockers in them i wanna be able to at least do 75mph for the freeway but still have the power to rock crawl any suggestion thanx

Back