• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck bolt in leaf bushing..

BillBraski

NAXJA Forum User
I need some ideas on removing the front spring-to-frame rail bolt. Its sticking out about 1/4" and it won't come out any further. I think its stick in the bushing. Any ideas?

1999 Cherokee, stock springs

You can't back it out with a wrench?...Try removing the spring from the shackel first then wiggle the spring around while tugging on the bolt.

You may have broken the weld on the nut inside the frame.

You can't back it out with a wrench?...Try removing the spring from the shackel first then wiggle the spring around while tugging on the bolt.

You may have broken the weld on the nut inside the frame.

I'm 99.9% sure the nut isn't broken, I can still thread it in if I tap the bolt in and turn it. It turns with some effort but not much, and only comes out so far.
I'll remove the shackle then give it a go like you said.

Thanks

I had the same problem with both of mine on the side of the leaf springs towards the front. They were just spinning inside the bushing and wouldn't come out.

We ended up backing them out of the nut as far as we could which more or less bent the bracket a bit and then cut the spring off and then clear though the bolt with an angle grinder to get them out.

Destroyed the old springs but those were toast anyway.

Back