• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm at my witts end

98_XJ_Classic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so heres the story I have a 1998 jeep cherokee classic AW4. So sunday I was leaving work and my friend and I were gonna race, we got to the light and we I took off my car wouldnt shift out of first gear. Now Shes been shifting very late and she has no get up at all. There is no passing gear, and theres a whistle under the hood when I accelerate until about 40 mph. I have replaced the tps and my fluid is full a little burnt but full.

Please I've searched threads with no progress, does anyone have anything?

Im guessin you have an automatic...i would say change your fluid (i know you said its full, but do it anyways and put new clean stuff in), and change your tranny filter while you under there. Also, there should be a lil magnet somewhere when you drop the pan to change everything...check it for lil metal filings (it will almost look like a sludge all around it, but its metal) and clean it off if there are any. see if that helps.

the "whistle" noise reminds me of a vacum leak, mayhaps a source of the prob. i think i'd be trying to find the source of the whistle.

Yeah yeah, it's just street racing, no big deal, until you kill someone.

Alright, don't street race- it's unsafe and you'll break your junk. Can you get it into an Autozone or such to put a code reader on it?

Check your TV linkage on the throttle body too. I don't know if or how vacuum might affect the tranny operation, but it sounds like you blew a vacuum line somewhere.

What I would worry about is running a car hard before it's warmed up. I learned the hard way. I had a '65 Mustang and a dude I worked with had a '64 (this was 1970). We would pull up to the first light and drag race away when we left work. Well, lo and behold, pretty soon we both had a couple of oil burning washed out Mustangs. I've had a few performance vehicles since and had some cars I let my kids drive. The one thing I told them was to NEVER floor the car or run it hard until it's warmed up. For years I had performance cars that I ran full throttle quite often (after they were thoroughly warmed up) without creating oil burners like I did with my old Mustang. If you at least baby it until it's warm, it will last a lot longer.

OK, now your more immediate problem. Are you sure you didn't blow a plug out? Sounds like a vacuum leak though. Take an unlit propane torch and move it around the intake manifold and any other possible leak areas. Listen for the RPM's to change.

Back