• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear leaf replacement

Billfaceeee

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ 8.25 29-spline. Replacing the rear leaf pack tomorrow wanted to know the size of the bolts that hold the springs to the body. Jeep's rusty can't use old hardware. Thanks for the input all.

-corey

I don't know but when I did my bastard pack I went to the dealership and got 4 bolts from them. So my point is you could always ask them.

On my jeep they are 13/16.

I'm also replacing my rear leaf springs and have a problem: The front bolt that goes through the bushing is stuck in the rubber bushing. How would one get it out? Is there a hole on the other side of the frame rail I that can knock the bolt out, that I'm missing? Does the rear shackle need to be removed first?

I need some ideas here.

I've frequently taken an open end wrench that will fit over the body of the bolt but not over the head, brace it against the shaft of the bolt and push "out" against the head of the sucker and hit it with a BFG as close to the head as possible. Crude but effective.
Could also try a drift pin.

14mm x 2.0 x 120mm
use nylock nuts on the leaf to shackle bolts. use alot of anti-seize for inside all the sleeves and threads. torque 90-95 ft-lbs on the lower shackle bolts and 110-115 on the 4 bolts that go into the frame rail.

the bolts are about $6 each at a hardware store (Ace, Tru Value, MA+PA), or about $13 at a stealership.

break out a sawz-all, grinder or cutoff wheel and just cut the bolts off/out.

i just got done doing all this on my '99 and it took about 8hrs to get everything apart and about 1hr to put it all back together.

Last edited:
Just the answer I was looking for, well besides the eight hour portion hahah kinda expected it with the age. Thank you guys, I appreciate it.
-corey

Back