• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with TDC

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
Having problems putting my engine to TDC.

Method 1 tried: Align timing marks on flywheel/block to "0", check direction of rotor in relation to #1 plug wire in dizzy.
Problem I ran into: The rotor doesn't directly point at the #1 plug...it's around 5 degree's off when I'm at "0" on the flywheel/block.

Method #2 tried: Remove #1 plug, rotate engine to top of compression stroke by looking through plug hole with a flashlight (verify it's on compression stroke by checking direction of rotor in relation to #1 plug wire on dizzy).
Problem I ran into: At the top of the stroke, rotor lines up perfectly with the mark I made for #1 wire in dizzy, but timing shows around 5-7 degree's off on the flywheel/block.

What gives? Is my timing off 5-7 degree's? What do I do now?

This is the first time I've had to put my jeep at TDC and it's being a pain in my anus. Never had this problem with any other cars I've work on.

the pointer on the crank pulley is supposed to line up with the 2nd line from the bottom on the timing cover. that is tdc. the rotors trailing edge is supposed to touch just past the contact on the dist cap. if you get a donor cap and cut a window open to expose the contact, you can get it adjusted correctly

Last edited:
Yeah, the rotor will not be pointing directly at #1 at TDC. The engine never runs at 0* timing, so the rotor is shifted a bit towards advanced where it will normally be running.

Back